New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iOS and Apps All your questions and discussion of iOS or iOS Apps.

iTunes won't let me transfer iPhone apps to it, why ?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

First the specs:

iPhone 3g.
Firmware 3.0

Reason being, I had to jailbreak it in order to unlock it for overseas use. That out of the way, I am trying to backup my iPhone apps to iTunes and it is telling me that there's a problem trying to transfer iTunes bought (which none of them are, they're all free downloads) apps to it because it's not authorized. It then tells me to go to > Store> Authorize computer.

I had already done that and if I try to do it again, I get a message saying that the computer is already authorized. It's an endless circle and I can't find a way around it. Is this because Apple wants me to update to the latest firmware and won't play nicely until I do ?

If that's the case, and I do update the firmware, I'm guessing that I'll lose my unlock, but not sure.

Opinions ? Thoughts ? Help ? On a side note, I somehow lost my wifi a couple of days ago somehow. Out of the blue *not having done anything* the wifi is just grayed out and not available no matter how many times I restart or take the sim out and back in etc.. Any thoughts on that ?

Thanks,

Doug
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

I would recommend reinstalling the legit firmware and seeing if that corrects the problem. I'm exactly sure whether the unlock disappears so someone else would have to comment on that.

have you tried calling AT&T about unlocking for overseas use? I know they do it for other handsets, but I have no clue if they do it for the iPhone.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweb View Post
I would recommend reinstalling the legit firmware and seeing if that corrects the problem. I'm exactly sure whether the unlock disappears so someone else would have to comment on that.

have you tried calling AT&T about unlocking for overseas use? I know they do it for other handsets, but I have no clue if they do it for the iPhone.
It was my understanding that only the iPhone was left out of the loop in terms of being able to get an official unlock from ATT. With my previous phones, it was never a problem, just the iPhone, hence the need to Jailbreak.

And unless I'm able to Jailbreak again, after going back to legit firmware, I just can't risk it. Sure, I'll be back in the States in less than 2 months, but when I travel overseas again, the 3g will come in handy for said task. I suppose this isn't the best place to ask such a question though, if this type of conversation is off limits per the other *taboo* thread.

Thanks though, for your input.

Doug
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How do we get the iBook Store? | iOS4 and Tiger »