New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iOS and Apps All your questions and discussion of iOS or iOS Apps.

4.0 Update backing up taking FOREVER!!!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ace.13unibody

ace.13unibody is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" Unibody Macbook Pro, Iphone 4 16G

Well I am updating to 4.0 on my 3g and it has been connected for about 35 minutes, and is still only about 1/8 of the way "backing up". I read on another forum that this has been one of the issues, does anybody have any fixes or do I just wait it out. I don't want to unplug and restart itunes if it is just going to be the same amount of time, plus a waste of this 35 minutes. Thanks for the help in advance!
QUOTE Thanks
ace.13unibody

Well after 40 minutes it jumped to about 95% complete!!!! Awesome
QUOTE Thanks
Nighthawk4

Nighthawk4 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad 32GB 3G, iPhone 16GB 3G

The update took 2 - 3 hours all told.

Now everything takes hours! It is a disaster on the iPhone3G.

It required 3 attempts to get into Settings, crashing out each time. Some apps no longer load. It takes almost 2 minutes for iTunes to recognize and connect when I attach the iPhone.

Folders work - but what is the point is everything is so slow and most of it doesn't load at all?

Suddenly, the HTC Desire is looking very desirable, even if is doesn't sync with the Mac and doesn't load all the DRM music I have in iTunes. At least it would be a working phone.

Apple, you need to issue a fix for this and quickly.

Maybe this is an initial bug, but first impressions are the most important and my first impression of this is not good.

Now trying another sync, separate from the upgrade one. Maybe this will fix things.
QUOTE Thanks
snugy

snugy is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13.3" Macbook Pro 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4GB of RAM Snow Leopard 10.6.2| iPhone 4 32GB Black.

i dont know what you guys are talking about! it took me only 25 minutes on my macbook pro!!!
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

My update took about 30 mins and so far things seem good.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
ace.13unibody

I am on a HP desktop, so maybe my MBP would have been the better choice, I'm still updating right now, at the restoring music and videos point. The funny thing is all the additions that this update has i had on the phone when it was jailbroken, but it will be nice to just have them!
QUOTE Thanks
Nighthawk4

The sync has taken 45 minutes so far and still going.

Are you guys also using an iPhone3G ?
QUOTE Thanks
InnerFrenzy

InnerFrenzy is on a distinguished road

I set my 3G to update last night while I was sleeping and, 6 hours later, it had not progressed any further than it did during the first 40 minutes. The backup status bar was holding steady underneath the "a" in Backing and was not moving.

Any advice?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

My 3G took less than 30 minutes for the download but the backup and restore of my Apps and Music is what dragged on for maybe another 30 minutes. Once all that was done though it's quite fast.

To the user with the slow 3g, did you let it all finish or give up and yank out the plug?

I waited and my 3G works fine. Just took a while after the initial install for the backup and reinstall of stuff.
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

The download took about 15 mins for me..the backup took nearly 45 mins..and it was stuck in the early part for a long time and I was worried that it was busted, but it quickly progressed through the rest.

It then took another 45 mins to update and restore. It then took another 30 odd minutes to restore the backup and then another 30 mins to put all the apps (165), and music back on.

All said and done the whole process was easily in the 2-3 hours range..after it finished everything my iPhone 3G was VERY slow..nothing would work properly. I then powered it off and turned it back on and then it behaved like normal..

Haven't had a chance to really play with it much more than creating a couple of simple folders..will probably use iTunes to group the apps, doing it on the phone is going to be annoying..

The iPhone 3GS is faster than the 3G and iOS 4 was more meant for that and the iPhone 4..so you'd expect better performance/outcome for those..

Regards
QUOTE Thanks
Nighthawk4

I waited until it had completely finished before disconnecting.

The mail is good and the folders have reduced the number of screens (or will once I tidy up), but loading an app still takes a lot longer than before the update. Less apps are crashing today.

Maybe it takes time to settle down - although that seems unlikely with a computer device. On the whole I still wish I had not updated it.
QUOTE Thanks
lb313

lb313 is on a distinguished road

Hi. I'm new here I am having trouble downloading the new 4.0 on my 3G model. The software downloaded within 30 min, but when it got to the back up part, it is barely moving and I've had this phone hooked up for over 4 hours now. Should I start over? I'm thinking I may have to do this overnight. I don't know why the back up is taking so long. I have a MacBook Pro that is only 6 months old, and I update my phone pretty regularly.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
vigilatte

vigilatte is on a distinguished road

If you have a lot of media (pix,toons,vids) on your iphone it will take an extremely long time to back up whether it is a 3G,3Gs, or 4. It took my phone hours to back up, upgrade, and restore (not sure how long exactly I walked away)

Just wait it out once you've started, no matter how long it takes. I assumed itunes froze but decided to walk away and leave it, glad I did now I can have all of my stuff in poorly labeled folders just like on my computers!
QUOTE Thanks
JacobSever

JacobSever is on a distinguished road

Same here, I started the update 3 hours ago.

That's how far it's got.

I'm updating my phone on an iMac, which is my normal update/home computer for my phone.

Should I just start over?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

From what I am told the more you have on the phone the longer it will take. One friends took over 3 hours but his other iPhone more like mine. Also after the whole update process be prepared for some real slowness for a bit. I found it's optimizing pictures and other things. Once that is done mine is about as fast as it ever was. 3G 16GB BTW.

I would start over and let it do it's thing. Walk away. It might look like it's locked but from everyone I have talked too who waited, it finished and worked.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Jailbreaking: taboo? | Keynote on Ipad »