New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iOS and Apps All your questions and discussion of iOS or iOS Apps.

Jailbreaking: taboo?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Sexy Patrol

Sexy Patrol is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: '09 8-core MacPro | '12 MBA | iPad 2 16GB | iPhone 5C 16GB

I've been trying to gain some clarity on where the forum stands on this issue: is it frowned upon on here or not? More specifically, jail breaking an iPhone to be used with a different carrier..? What's the general consensus here? From what I've gathered outside of the forum the legality of the issue is rather murky, that said I'm just curious what everyone (including the admins) think here.
QUOTE Thanks
clayneal

clayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s

Jailbrake question

MY ADVICE COMES WITH A DOUBLE YOUR MONEY BACK GUARANTEE!
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Jailbreaking is not to use the iphone with a different carrier. That is Unlocking. Unlocking is to make it work with carriers other than AT&T.

Jailbreaking is to basically hack the OS to run applications that Apple will not allow to run on the OS. That is against the rules at Mac Forums.

That URL Clay provided explains it quite clearly.
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.4-MacMini3,1:10.9.4-iPhone6,1:7.1.2

If you have to ask, then it's probably a problem. A life lesson in general.

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
Jailbreaking is not to use the iphone with a different carrier. That is Unlocking. Unlocking is to make it work with carriers other than AT&T.

Jailbreaking is to basically hack the OS to run applications that Apple will not allow to run on the OS. That is against the rules at Mac Forums.

That URL Clay provided explains it quite clearly.
Actually let me clarify...

The guidelines only forbid discussion of illegal activity (as defined by US law), we will not be enforcing EULA.

We won't prevent discussion of using a jailbroken device but we won't allow discussion of the actual process of jailbreaking since that is more likely to be a violation of the DMCA.

Unlocking is absolutely permissible to discuss here as it's fully legal and even has an exception in the DMCA.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
Chris1111

Chris1111 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: I don't know

Are there any jailbreak style apps that make the iphone an fm receiver? I just saw an ad for a sprint phone that had the only 2 things I really want out of a phone, an fm stereo and a tethering option. So if I could get those on an iphone I'd definitely get it.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweb View Post
Actually let me clarify...

The guidelines only forbid discussion of illegal activity (as defined by US law), we will not be enforcing EULA.

We won't prevent discussion of using a jailbroken device but we won't allow discussion of the actual process of jailbreaking since that is more likely to be a violation of the DMCA.

Unlocking is absolutely permissible to discuss here as it's fully legal and even has an exception in the DMCA.
Ok schweb, you have more or less contradicted what at least two other members of the staff have stated (and have been enforcing) both publicly and privately. Namely that jail breaking threads are not welcome and will be closed.

No offense, but I think the staff all need to get on the same page with this one. It's been frowned upon here for quite some time.

QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
Ok schweb, you have more or less contradicted what at least two other members of the staff have stated (and have been enforcing) both publicly and privately. Namely that jail breaking threads are not welcome and will be closed.

No offense, but I think the staff all need to get on the same page with this one. It's been frowned upon here for quite some time.
We'll have a chat about it... thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post

Actually I don't see it as contradicting at all...just a little clarification.

The discussion of how to jailbreak a device is not permitted as that is a violation of the DMCA. That is in complete agreement with what the two others have said.

The only additional piece of information I'm throwing out is that we won't stop people about talking about a device that's already jailbroken or the apps that can be installed because at that point, it's merely a EULA violation.

QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweb View Post

The only additional piece of information I'm throwing out is that we won't stop people about talking about a device that's already jailbroken or the apps that can be installed because at that point, it's merely a EULA violation.
And thats where baggss was leaning towards as a contradiction, as in the past, Mods have closed threads because of JUST talking about a phone that has been JB............ so the *clarification* that you do needs to be at all Mods and Admin so EVERYONE is on the same page ... and if not chuck something into "news and community announcements" so members know exactly what we can mention, as there are certain OTHER members that try to force the rules around here too

Cheers

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post
And thats where baggss was leaning towards as a contradiction, as in the past, Mods have closed threads because of JUST talking about a phone that has been JB............ so the *clarification* that you do needs to be at all Mods and Admin so EVERYONE is on the same page ... and if not chuck something into "news and community announcements" so members know exactly what we can mention, as there are certain OTHER members that try to force the rules around here too

Cheers
Well said. The earlier post confused the heck out of me as well. Hot or cold please, lukewarm just don't taste right.

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

An announcement post will be coming to clarify the jailbreaking discussion policies (similar to our DVD ripping announcement).

QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

So can we talk about running OS X applications on OS X, which is running on non-Apple hardware? According to case law, it would appear that merely running an OS X on a non-Apple Intel based system is only EULA, whereas the selling or assembly with intent to resell is the illegal part. Opens a rather wide door one the horse is out of the barn. I'm assuming jailbroken iPads are fair game, as well as getting full iOS4 multi-tasking functionality on the iPhone 3G. I'm a bit surprised to be honest. NO offense, but it seems like a slippery slope.

QUOTE Thanks
schweb

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ-linux View Post
So can we talk about running OS X applications on OS X, which is running on non-Apple hardware? According to case law, it would appear that merely running an OS X on a non-Apple Intel based system is only EULA, whereas the selling or assembly with intent to resell is the illegal part. Opens a rather wide door one the horse is out of the barn. I'm assuming jailbroken iPads are fair game, as well as getting full iOS4 multi-tasking functionality on the iPhone 3G. I'm a bit surprised to be honest. NO offense, but it seems like a slippery slope.
Only the illegal act, as defined by US law, is not permitted to be discussed, we do not enforce EULA provisions as it's impossible to effectively enforce considering the wide range of EULAs on every piece of hardware and software in each jurisdiction.

Slippery slope could be applied to alot of things. Should we stop allowing Handbrake discussions because it could be used to rip commercial DVDs or just not allow discussion of ripping commercial DVDs? Should we not allow people to discuss Quicktime because you could potetially watch a pirated video with it? Should we not allow discussion of TextEdit because you could write something illegal on it?

QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Nothing slippery about it. You violate the law (in most cases the DMCA) and you can't talk about it. You violate an EULA then you're fine.

Why this seems odd is that this forum USED to enforce EULAs before the rules changed. Personally, I like it better this way since the rules aren't overly strict.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Panadora | 4.0 Update backing up taking FOREVER!!! »