Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Specs:
    '09 8-core MacPro | '12 MBA | iPad 2 16GB | iPhone 5C 16GB
    Jailbreaking: taboo?
    I've been trying to gain some clarity on where the forum stands on this issue: is it frowned upon on here or not? More specifically, jail breaking an iPhone to be used with a different carrier..? What's the general consensus here? From what I've gathered outside of the forum the legality of the issue is rather murky, that said I'm just curious what everyone (including the admins) think here.

Specs:
    late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
    MY ADVICE COMES WITH A DOUBLE YOUR MONEY BACK GUARANTEE!

Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OSX10.11, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OSX10.11 , iPad Air, iPhone 3GS
    Jailbreaking is not to use the iphone with a different carrier. That is Unlocking. Unlocking is to make it work with carriers other than AT&T.

Jailbreaking is to basically hack the OS to run applications that Apple will not allow to run on the OS. That is against the rules at Mac Forums.

That URL Clay provided explains it quite clearly.

Specs:
    MacBookAir5,2:10.9.5-MacMini3,1:10.9.5-iPhone6,1:8.4.1
    If you have to ask, then it's probably a problem. A life lesson in general.
    Never judge a man, untill you have walked a mile in his shoes...
    That way you'll be a mile away from him, and you'll have his shoes.

Specs:
    MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
    Quote Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
    Jailbreaking is not to use the iphone with a different carrier. That is Unlocking. Unlocking is to make it work with carriers other than AT&T.

Jailbreaking is to basically hack the OS to run applications that Apple will not allow to run on the OS. That is against the rules at Mac Forums.

That URL Clay provided explains it quite clearly.
    Actually let me clarify...

The guidelines only forbid discussion of illegal activity (as defined by US law), we will not be enforcing EULA.

We won't prevent discussion of using a jailbroken device but we won't allow discussion of the actual process of jailbreaking since that is more likely to be a violation of the DMCA.

Unlocking is absolutely permissible to discuss here as it's fully legal and even has an exception in the DMCA.
    schweb | community leader
    flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

Specs:
    I don't know
    Are there any jailbreak style apps that make the iphone an fm receiver? I just saw an ad for a sprint phone that had the only 2 things I really want out of a phone, an fm stereo and a tethering option. So if I could get those on an iphone I'd definitely get it.

Specs:
    27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 10.10.2 -64Gb iPad 2-64 Gb iPhone 6+-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage
    Quote Originally Posted by schweb View Post
    Actually let me clarify...

The guidelines only forbid discussion of illegal activity (as defined by US law), we will not be enforcing EULA.

We won't prevent discussion of using a jailbroken device but we won't allow discussion of the actual process of jailbreaking since that is more likely to be a violation of the DMCA.

Unlocking is absolutely permissible to discuss here as it's fully legal and even has an exception in the DMCA.
    Ok schweb, you have more or less contradicted what at least two other members of the staff have stated (and have been enforcing) both publicly and privately. Namely that jail breaking threads are not welcome and will be closed.

No offense, but I think the staff all need to get on the same page with this one. It's been frowned upon here for quite some time.

Specs:
    Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
    Quote Originally Posted by baggss View Post
    Ok schweb, you have more or less contradicted what at least two other members of the staff have stated (and have been enforcing) both publicly and privately. Namely that jail breaking threads are not welcome and will be closed.

No offense, but I think the staff all need to get on the same page with this one. It's been frowned upon here for quite some time.
    We'll have a chat about it... thanks.

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by baggss View Post

Actually I don't see it as contradicting at all...just a little clarification.

The discussion of how to jailbreak a device is not permitted as that is a violation of the DMCA. That is in complete agreement with what the two others have said.

The only additional piece of information I'm throwing out is that we won't stop people about talking about a device that's already jailbroken or the apps that can be installed because at that point, it's merely a EULA violation.

Specs:
    21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
    Quote Originally Posted by schweb View Post

The only additional piece of information I'm throwing out is that we won't stop people about talking about a device that's already jailbroken or the apps that can be installed because at that point, it's merely a EULA violation.
    And thats where baggss was leaning towards as a contradiction, as in the past, Mods have closed threads because of JUST talking about a phone that has been JB............ so the *clarification* that you do needs to be at all Mods and Admin so EVERYONE is on the same page ... and if not chuck something into "news and community announcements" so members know exactly what we can mention, as there are certain OTHER members that try to force the rules around here too

Cheers
    Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
    Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
    MoTM ☆☆☆

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post
    And thats where baggss was leaning towards as a contradiction, as in the past, Mods have closed threads because of JUST talking about a phone that has been JB............ so the *clarification* that you do needs to be at all Mods and Admin so EVERYONE is on the same page ... and if not chuck something into "news and community announcements" so members know exactly what we can mention, as there are certain OTHER members that try to force the rules around here too

Cheers
    Well said. The earlier post confused the heck out of me as well. Hot or cold please, lukewarm just don't taste right.

Specs:
    An announcement post will be coming to clarify the jailbreaking discussion policies (similar to our DVD ripping announcement).

Specs:
    So can we talk about running OS X applications on OS X, which is running on non-Apple hardware? According to case law, it would appear that merely running an OS X on a non-Apple Intel based system is only EULA, whereas the selling or assembly with intent to resell is the illegal part. Opens a rather wide door one the horse is out of the barn. I'm assuming jailbroken iPads are fair game, as well as getting full iOS4 multi-tasking functionality on the iPhone 3G. I'm a bit surprised to be honest. NO offense, but it seems like a slippery slope.

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by XJ-linux View Post
    So can we talk about running OS X applications on OS X, which is running on non-Apple hardware? According to case law, it would appear that merely running an OS X on a non-Apple Intel based system is only EULA, whereas the selling or assembly with intent to resell is the illegal part. Opens a rather wide door one the horse is out of the barn. I'm assuming jailbroken iPads are fair game, as well as getting full iOS4 multi-tasking functionality on the iPhone 3G. I'm a bit surprised to be honest. NO offense, but it seems like a slippery slope.
    Only the illegal act, as defined by US law, is not permitted to be discussed, we do not enforce EULA provisions as it's impossible to effectively enforce considering the wide range of EULAs on every piece of hardware and software in each jurisdiction.

Slippery slope could be applied to alot of things. Should we stop allowing Handbrake discussions because it could be used to rip commercial DVDs or just not allow discussion of ripping commercial DVDs? Should we not allow people to discuss Quicktime because you could potetially watch a pirated video with it? Should we not allow discussion of TextEdit because you could write something illegal on it?

Specs:
    Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
    Nothing slippery about it. You violate the law (in most cases the DMCA) and you can't talk about it. You violate an EULA then you're fine.

Why this seems odd is that this forum USED to enforce EULAs before the rules changed. Personally, I like it better this way since the rules aren't overly strict.

June 2007
    July 2009

Thread Information