New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iOS and Apps All your questions and discussion of iOS or iOS Apps.

Is it True that Apple Will Only Replace Iphone with Old Refurbished Phones???

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MacNewbie

MacNewbie is an unknown at this point

i am still under my 1 year warranty...ive been having on going issues with my phone..

the phone doesnt ring when people call me. it goes straight to voicemail.
sometimes ill get a new voicemail and the phone wont even have rang

i talked to at&t about it and they told me to try putting the sim card in another phone and see if fthe problem persists. the problem doesnt persist so i know its the phone..

in that scenario even if apple swaps out my phone for me...will they be giving me a new phone or a refurbished phone? i was told from some that they dont swap out for new phones?
QUOTE Thanks
Eric559

Eric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: 2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.

Refurbished. Just like many other manufactures.

Member Of The Month for December '08.
It's only the internet!
QUOTE Thanks
MacNewbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric559 View Post
Refurbished. Just like many other manufactures.

under what circumstance would they give me a brand new phone?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

If you're in the first 14 days or so of ownership, then an Apple store might swap it out for a new one.

If you're 10 months into it, refurb.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
eddielee

eddielee is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" iM ac,13.3" Aluminium Unibody Macbook, iPhone 4

I never understand why people complain about this stuff. Okay so the manufacture says yeah I'll repair that phone for you, takes it away and your with out a phone for about 4 weeks then you get your phone back complete with all your scratches and stuff.

Or the manufacture can save you the 4 weeks with out a phone a give you one they have already repaired. And as a bonus the refurbished phones usually get a new case so theres no scratches or anything.

You are getting a better deal by getting a refurbished phone than if they repaired yours. No company will just swap out anything over say $100, they are gonna want to repair it.

Thanks, Eddie
Software Engineering Student, NTU
QUOTE Thanks
MacNewbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudeking View Post
I never understand why people complain about this stuff. Okay so the manufacture says yeah I'll repair that phone for you, takes it away and your with out a phone for about 4 weeks then you get your phone back complete with all your scratches and stuff.

Or the manufacture can save you the 4 weeks with out a phone a give you one they have already repaired. And as a bonus the refurbished phones usually get a new case so theres no scratches or anything.

You are getting a better deal by getting a refurbished phone than if they repaired yours. No company will just swap out anything over say $100, they are gonna want to repair it.

then why in the warranty does it say:

"Exchange the product with a new or refurbished product"
QUOTE Thanks
eddielee

eddielee is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" iM ac,13.3" Aluminium Unibody Macbook, iPhone 4

It's apples discretion. Obviously if you had it for a few days and it broke there going to give you a new one, as good will. But after that it will be a refurbished unit.

Thanks, Eddie
Software Engineering Student, NTU
QUOTE Thanks
bargsbeer

bargsbeer is a jewel in the roughbargsbeer is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO

Whats the issue with a refurb? If you put one side by side with a brand new one, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. It's not like it's scratched up or anything it's basically brand new.
QUOTE Thanks
Millionin20s

Millionin20s is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargsbeer View Post
Whats the issue with a refurb? If you put one side by side with a brand new one, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. It's not like it's scratched up or anything it's basically brand new.
"Basically brand new" being the operative words here.

It's really just a matter of opinion. Since it was previously used, and was sent in to be repaired, perception says that it's not as good as a brand new, fresh out of the box phone. Plus, you always hear stories about refurbished goods not lasting long/coming in broken form or whatever. I've actually had refurbished goods before, and most of them are just as good as a brand new item, but I've had a couple of occasions where I received a refurb that wasn't good enough in my opinion.
QUOTE Thanks
DRMac

DRMac is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 15" 2.66Ghz C2D 4GB ram 320GB HDD

Well, who ever has a 3G iphone from what i've heard is only the 3GS will be receiving the OS4 update and support for the 3G was killed just recently. All 3G models are being converted to 3GS refurbs. So i guess its update or suffer for 3G users.

Next time you go for a refurb 3G you may walk away with a refurb 3GS.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« My iPhone 3GS can't be turned on | Whats your favorite iphone app? »