New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iOS and Apps All your questions and discussion of iOS or iOS Apps.

Xfer apps between Ipod and Ipad?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

cptkrf

cptkrf is a jewel in the roughcptkrf is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Air 2013, MacMini,2013, Intel Core i7, 16gb, 27" Thunderbolt display (Highly recommended!)

I bought an app for my Ipad, and downloaded it using my Ipad. After using it for a little while, I decided that it would work better on my Ipod Touch. So when I synced my Ipad the app got delivered into Itunes on my IMac, and now shows up there. So far so good.

When I try to transfer it to my Ipod by syncing, Itunes says it it there but it doesn't show up in the device. I thought that maybe Apple required a separate purchase for each device, but when I access the Store with my Ipod, it says that I already own it, so they apparently don't care how many devices the owner of the app installs it on.

It is an app that will run on both devices.

Advice from Itunes experts wanted.

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

When you sync your iPod click on the device (ipod) in the middle left hand column, and at the top of the iPod status pane you should see an APPs tab. Click on that and then scroll down and you should be presented with a list of available APPs, the ones already on your iPod should have a check next to their Icons.
Find the APP that you own and want to install on your iPod and click on the check box and then click to Apply (lower right of window).

iPod will sync and you should see your APP.

Can't do a screen shot because I'm at work and on an "Evil Empire" machine. Hopefully this helps.
QUOTE Thanks
cptkrf

Mac Specs: MacBook Air 2013, MacMini,2013, Intel Core i7, 16gb, 27" Thunderbolt display (Highly recommended!)

Ok. I see the list of apps with check marks.

However... Something is hosed up. There are far fewer apps in the list than are on the Ipod. Plus, it lists 2 with check marks that are not on the Ipod. And when I hit sync, I get a message that it has found purchased items on the Ipod that are not present in Itunes and do I want to transfer them?

I say yes, and it gives a couple of messages about syncing and transfering apps, but nothing more shows up in Itunes.

Possibly I need to do a restore.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Are you using the same iTunes store account with your iPod and iPad?
If so, you should be able to download the missing APPs
QUOTE Thanks
cptkrf

Yep. Same account but the IPod was screwed up. I went ahead and bought the upgrade to version 3 and did a restore. That cleared it up and it is seeing everything now.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

Glad it's working for you now. Enjoy!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Itunes albumwork | Email and Signature »