New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iOS and Apps All your questions and discussion of iOS or iOS Apps.

Looking for multi chat ipad app (MSN, Yahoo and Gtalk)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

Hi,

On my imac I have adium. It's a multi chat app as you know and I can access MSN, Yahoo and Gtalk at the same time and chat to different people on each of the 3 networks at the same time. And my question is, is there a similar App for the ipad?

I think there are seperate apps for MSN, Yahoo and Gtalk out there for the ipad. But with the ipad's lack of real multitasking, I'd need all 3 apps open at the same time to chat to different people. And I currently can not do that on the ipad. Hence the need for an Aduim like multichat app for the ipad.

Having this App is one of the big reasons for me to get the ipad. Cause I really would like this functionality on the go. And it's one of the major reasons I want to get an ipad. Without it I just might not get an ipad.

So does an ipad app like this exist?

[edit] http://blog.ebuddy.com/index.php/ebu...nd-ipod-touch/
Something like that link ebuddy for ipad/iphone will not do. As I can only log into one chat network at a time. I need to be able to log into all 3 chat networks at a time and be able to chat from people on different networks at the same time.
QUOTE Thanks
ShawnBoucke

ShawnBoucke is on a distinguished road

um... you can log into all of them at the same time with eBuddy. I was using it earlier with AIM, Myspace, and facebook all logged in.
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8thark View Post
Hi,

On my imac I have adium. It's a multi chat app as you know and I can access MSN, Yahoo and Gtalk at the same time and chat to different people on each of the 3 networks at the same time. And my question is, is there a similar App for the ipad?

I think there are seperate apps for MSN, Yahoo and Gtalk out there for the ipad. But with the ipad's lack of real multitasking, I'd need all 3 apps open at the same time to chat to different people. And I currently can not do that on the ipad. Hence the need for an Aduim like multichat app for the ipad.

Having this App is one of the big reasons for me to get the ipad. Cause I really would like this functionality on the go. And it's one of the major reasons I want to get an ipad. Without it I just might not get an ipad.

So does an ipad app like this exist?

[edit] New: eBuddy for iPhone and iPod Touch | eBuddy Blog
Something like that link ebuddy for ipad/iphone will not do. As I can only log into one chat network at a time. I need to be able to log into all 3 chat networks at a time and be able to chat from people on different networks at the same time.
I read about this yesterday. Ping! might be something you'd like. Only catch is the people you message have to purchase the app as well. It's similar to Blackberry direct messaging. Send Free Messages to Other iPad and iPhone Owners With Ping! - Ping pad app - Gizmodo
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I am not sure how well it will work on the iPad, but on the iPhone I use IM+. It's on the App Store. It's never let me down and does AIM, ICq, MSN, Google and all the others. IM+ really reminds me of Adium for the iPhone.

They do say iPhone apps should work.
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYmacROX View Post
I read about this yesterday. Ping! might be something you'd like.[/url]
It seems that is ipad/touch/phone to ipad/touch/phone messaging only. Not through the usual chat networks. No good for me as I'd be the only one of my friends to own one of these apple devices. Thanks for the info though. The app looks really classy though. I love it's UI. But I just don't think it does what I need it to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
I am not sure how well it will work on the iPad, but on the iPhone I use IM+.
I found it on the app store here.
http://itunes.apple.com/app/im/id296246130?mt=8

But on there is a review saying this:
"Thank you so much for adding an ugly splash screen to brag about your awards and increasing the loading time..."

Is that true of the app? And can you have more then one chat open at the same time and on different networks. For example one yahoo and one MSN chat open at the same time? If yes then this app looks like it's for me. I don't care if I have to have it pixel doubled on the ipad. I care for functionality over UI at the moment.

Thanks for the all the replies so far.

And dtravis7 with an answer or 2 more from you, you just might have found me the app I am after. And one of the major reasons to go and pre-order an ipad when I can (Assuming there is a preorder on my island.)

And I was kindly given a $30 itunes card for my birthday so App costs are not an issue too much. I am willing to pay for an app that I know (or have been told) is a good one.
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

Meebo on my iPhone works great: mutliple clients and always-on push notification to get around the multiple-tasking issue.

Not ideal for the iPad, but hopefully they'll come out with an iPad version soon enough.

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

Wait.. was it said that eBuddy only allows one client at a time ? Because that's not how it works on my iPhone. I use both eBuddy and Nimbuzz. And they both are able to connect to multiple clients at the same time. I started using eBuddy because Nimbuzz sometimes has issues logging in to the clients. Might be an iPhone issue though, not sure.

I like Nimbuzz better, (when it's fully functional) because it does Skype, and I'm able to make free 3G skype to skype phone calls with it. I should also note that my iPhone is jailbroken, so constant push isn't something I use. I use "backgrounder" which allows multitasking.

Doug
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Does it exist? iPod Touch Bluetooth SMS via Phone | Ebook readers, Specifically PDF and PDB »