New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iOS and Apps All your questions and discussion of iOS or iOS Apps.

Quick iPhone Question

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

EFS

EFS is on a distinguished road

So, I own a new iPhone 3GS, but I have wanted to buy the original 2G iPhone just to use as an iPod touch when I am on the boat and at work, as I often break things. I am currently looking at an 8GB 2G for a reasonable price, and I was wondering if there is anyway to activate and unlock the phone without inserting a SIM card, as I don't want a plan for the 2G. Also, I don't want to jailbreak or modify the software. The phone is currently asking to install a sim card (in the eBay picture) so can I just hook it up to my mac and update to 3.0.1 in iTunes?

Thanks, Please respond fast, auction ends in 2 hours! Thanks again
QUOTE Thanks
Eric559

Eric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: 2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.

You will have to jailbreak the phone. If you don't want to modify the firmware just buy a iPod Touch.

Member Of The Month for December '08.
It's only the internet!
QUOTE Thanks
EFS

This is most likely a retarded question, but when I jailbreak the phone, will I still be able to use software 3.0.1 and sync to my iTunes 9 library? Will all my App Store apps work? Is any of the software malicious?
QUOTE Thanks
clayneal

clayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s

I agree with Eric559. Seems like a lot of work to end up with a touch anyway.
QUOTE Thanks
Eric559

Eric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFS View Post
This is most likely a retarded question, but when I jailbreak the phone, will I still be able to use software 3.0.1 and sync to my iTunes 9 library? Will all my App Store apps work? Is any of the software malicious?
Yes you till be able to sync to your iTunes library. Apps work. Software is good if you use the dev-team.

How much is the phone selling for? I would rather buy a iPod Touch then waste money on a first generation iPhone. The touch is thinner and lighter in weight and does all the same functions and more.

It's only the internet!
QUOTE Thanks
EFS

I like the feel of the old iPhone. And it is going for $78. I really wanted to get it but I didn't want to have to jump through a bunch of hoops to activate it. Is it dificult? Also, with the jailbreak you can't just update the software in iTunes anymore, can you? Is there any way at all that I can simply just get passed the activation prompt without modifying it?
QUOTE Thanks
Eric559

Quote:
I like the feel of the old iPhone. And it is going for $78. I really wanted to get it but I didn't want to have to jump through a bunch of hoops to activate it. Is it dificult? Also, with the jailbreak you can't just update the software in iTunes anymore, can you? Is there any way at all that I can simply just get passed the activation prompt without modifying it?
Jailbreaking is not difficult. No you can not update in iTunes anymore. Each update that is released will have to be jailbroken first then updated by you.

No there is no simple way to get passed activation without modifying...you will have to jailbreak the phone.

EDIT: Google "dev team blog" for more information and program to jailbreak.

It's only the internet!
QUOTE Thanks
EFS

Ok well I guess that is what I will do! Do you have any links for me that I can safely and easily jailbreak it to 3.0 without getting any malicious files on my computer (I have a MAC! I know its unlikely, but possible!)? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
QUOTE Thanks
EFS

Sorry for the double post. So I have put a little effort into this myself and found a basic tutorial and a program from download.com (which I have never had a malicious file from them, and of course they are run by Cnet). However, many guides say iTunes 8 should be used. Should I be ok with 9?
QUOTE Thanks
Eric559

Quote:
Sorry for the double post. So I have put a little effort into this myself and found a basic tutorial and a program from download.com (which I have never had a malicious file from them, and of course they are run by Cnet). However, many guides say iTunes 8 should be used. Should I be ok with 9?
Quote:
Ok well I guess that is what I will do! Do you have any links for me that I can safely and easily jailbreak it to 3.0 without getting any malicious files on my computer (I have a MAC! I know its unlikely, but possible!)? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Google "dev team blog" like I posted before and you should be safe. Dev Team is respected and are the ones who usually jailbreak the newest firmware when it gets released. All information is on their website.

It's only the internet!
QUOTE Thanks
Thekris1234

Thekris1234 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 13" Standard Spec. iPhone 4 16GB

All you need to do is put the sims card in for ACTIVATION. After this just take it out and use it with you normal iPhone. You don't need use the sim card to use it as an iPod but you do need to activate.
QUOTE Thanks
Eric559

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thekris1234 View Post
All you need to do is put the sims card in for ACTIVATION. After this just take it out and use it with you normal iPhone. You don't need use the sim card to use it as an iPod but you do need to activate.
Yeah...if you want to activate the phone to use with at&t. Activation is for setting up service.

It's only the internet!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Flash comes to Smartphones yet it won't be coming to the iPhone | iPhone Clock Changing...? »