New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iOS and Apps All your questions and discussion of iOS or iOS Apps.

Flash comes to Smartphones yet it won't be coming to the iPhone

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Thekris1234

Thekris1234 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 13" Standard Spec. iPhone 4 16GB

Well, once again it seems Apple iPhone users have been left out. It has been announce the flash will be coming to most Smartphones later this year. But it has been said that it will not be coming to the Apple iPhone. Is anyone else getting a bit sick and tired hearing all this great stuff and none of it is for the Apple iPhone even though we pay more for the iPhone than most other phones. It seems to me that Apple have made their money from the iPhone and are just sitting back and watching the world go by.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

You better talk to Adobe not Apple. Flash is their program.

Adobe needs to do something about Flash using 120-130% CPU in OS X before they can even begin to rewrite for the iPhone.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Actually, when subsidized, it can be cheaper. The iPhone 3GS 16GB for instance is cheaper than the BB Curve & Bold, Sony Ericsson X1 and the Nokia N95 here. Not that this is relevant but it could be easily argued that work should be done to accommodate those phones first since the customer paid more.

And bobtomay said what I was going to say about Flash. I have nothing nice to say about Flash. The excessive CPU usage it requires just to render a video would make your iPhone hot enough to cook an egg. Trust me, you don't want it on the iPhone. Plus, how much Flash content do you view in a day? Most Flash content people view is either YouTube (which is served through the YouTube app) or it's other Flash video which would be too small inside a browser window on the iPhone anyway. The majority of other Flash content is annoying ads with sounds.

On top of this, Apple has nothing to do with Flash. Apple can't force Adobe to make a Flash build for the iPhone. Considering the draconian rules Apple has about new programs for the iPhone, it would be near impossible for Flash to get on the phone. On a more technical level, I believe Apple's policy for acceptance onto the iPhone is that it can't execute or interpret code, which many Flash apps do through the use of Actionscript. I believe it is this policy that killed Java on the iPhone.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Eric559

Eric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: 2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
You better talk to Adobe not Apple. Flash is their program.

Adobe needs to do something about Flash using 120-130% CPU in OS X before they can even begin to rewrite for the iPhone.
I always thought they were waiting for Apple?

Adobe Flash Coming To Apple's iPhone -- Maybe, Someday (AAPL, ADBE)
Why Apple Won’t Allow Adobe Flash on iPhone | Gadget Lab | Wired.com

Member Of The Month for December '08.
It's only the internet!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

There is that side of it also. Am not a big fan of flash.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

What Bobtomay is pointing out is even on Macs with OSX Flash is hogging all the CPU cycles. If it were on an iPhone which as you know is a stripped down OSX, it would bog down the CPU so badly it would be unusable. There is an issue with Flash on OSX that needs to be addressed by Adobe.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

I've read that as well (see here for example, end of 2nd paragraph). Adobe has to build it so Apple can reject it. On the same token, Apple hasn't rejected it (AFAIK) because Adobe hasn't tried to negotiate for its inclusion. Depending how you want to look at it, both could be responsible for it. I think the fault lies largely with Apple but for me, in this one case, it's a good thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
What Bobtomay is pointing out is even on Macs with OSX Flash is hogging all the CPU cycles. If it were on an iPhone which as you know is a stripped down OSX, it would bog down the CPU so badly it would be unusable. There is an issue with Flash on OSX that needs to be addressed by Adobe.
I couldn't agree more. I can foresee people complaining about overheating iPhones because of this. I also agree that they need to fix all the desktop issues they have first before trying to move Flash onto more devices, particularly ones that have much fewer resource with which to render Flash content. Actually, a better idea would be to cease Flash development altogether but that won't happen...unfortunately.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Persistent Library ID Hack in iTunes 9 | Quick iPhone Question »