New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iOS and Apps All your questions and discussion of iOS or iOS Apps.

Syncing iphone 3Gs to new computer

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Spinner486

Spinner486 is on a distinguished road

Hi everyone,

I recently had my computer completely crap out on me, and it will not even turn on anymore. I have about 2 gigs of music on my iphone that I do not want to lose when I try to sync to my new computer. My phone is not jailbroken, and I do not want to jailbreak in order to save my music. Most of the music was not purchased through iTunes. Is there any other way I can add songs to my phone from my new computer without losing all of my old songs??

Thanks in advance,

Spinner
QUOTE Thanks
clayneal

clayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s

It would help to know what your "new computer" is. But google is your friend.
QUOTE Thanks
Ekim

Ekim is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MBP - 15in, 2.66ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GPU, 320gb HDD

Why wouldn't you just disable auto syncing? Plus if your device isn't authorized on that computer it wont automatically do anything without user confirmation. When it asks to sync tell it no, and then click file -> transfer purchases from ipod. That will copy all media on your ipod to itunes. Then you can add songs to itunes and sync it with your ipod.

QUOTE Thanks
clayneal

clayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of light

No that will only copy media purchased from iTunes. And as soon as the op syncs the iPhone all media not on the computer will be erased.
QUOTE Thanks
Spinner486

Spinner486 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the quick responses

The old computer was an HP DV series (will never buy HP again) the new computer is a Sony Vaio. Sorry for not specifying before. I have searched google, but most of the tips are for people who either have jailbroken phones or have the liberty of copying their iTunes folder from the old computer to an external hard drive and uploading them on the new computer. I really didnt want to re-download 1000+ songs, just wondering if there was any other way.

Spinner
QUOTE Thanks
Ekim

Ekim is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MBP - 15in, 2.66ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GPU, 320gb HDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner486 View Post
Thanks for the quick responses

The old computer was an HP DV series (will never buy HP again) the new computer is a Sony Vaio. Sorry for not specifying before. I have searched google, but most of the tips are for people who either have jailbroken phones or have the liberty of copying their iTunes folder from the old computer to an external hard drive and uploading them on the new computer. I really didnt want to re-download 1000+ songs, just wondering if there was any other way.

Spinner
When you connect your ipod to the computer if you go to my computer, right click on the device and click explore. You should be able to access the files and copy & paste them to where ever. Just dont forget to disable auto syncing or you're stuff will be erased!
QUOTE Thanks
clayneal

http://m.lifehacker.com/site?sid=lif...refId%3D394046
QUOTE Thanks
clayneal

You will find the info on the above link. It's a jailbreak free method that will work unlike some other info you have been given.
QUOTE Thanks
clayneal

Sorry for the convoluted posts but using iPhone skin so no "quote" option. I hope this helps. I used the winamp option when I had my laptop stolen and had to buy a new one. At that point I didn't have access to all my CDs. Good luck. Please let me know if you have any more questions. And feel free to PM me
clay
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Best 'bbm' prog for iphone | Ipod Touch 3G-Invalid Argument »