New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iOS and Apps All your questions and discussion of iOS or iOS Apps.

XM or Sirius

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Volt

I am planing on buying an iPhone 3GS 16G, one of the reasons is because I need a satellite radio for my vehicle and I heard the iPhone could do this for me (two birds, one stone). I would like to listen to Opie and Anthony and Ron and Fez which are played on both XM and Sirius.

Is this true, will I be able to get satellite service? Anyone use it? Opinions?

One more question, since I'll only be listening to talk shows, will the iPhone's speaker play loud enough to listen in the car? If so, I could save $150 on an interface device and just listen thru the iPhone.

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
JohnCL

JohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: -->

It is more of a web service vs. satellite service when used on the phone. You may want to check to make sure, but O&A may not be available with this as it is not when you log in from a PC. The explicit channels are excluded totally I believe. The new iPhone app also requires an add on to your account for extra $$$.

Having a dedicated radio will be much better than using the built in iPhone speakers.
QUOTE Thanks
mdfuller

mdfuller is a jewel in the roughmdfuller is a jewel in the roughmdfuller is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15-inch MacBook Pro

I agree totally. Get an actual satellite radio or just use something like Slacker from the iPhone.
QUOTE Thanks
Volt

Thanks for the replies guys.

What is Slacker?
QUOTE Thanks
mdfuller

mdfuller is a jewel in the roughmdfuller is a jewel in the roughmdfuller is a jewel in the rough

Slacker is what made me cancel satellite radio altogether:

http://www.slacker.com/
QUOTE Thanks
Volt

I see. I checked out their website, I don't see anything about Opie and Anthony or Ron and Fez. That's really all I would want satellite radio for.
QUOTE Thanks
mdfuller

You won't find that on there. Like the previous poster said, make sure they can even be streamed. You might have to have an actual radio to listen to them.
QUOTE Thanks
Volt

I checked XM and Opie and Anthony and Ron and Fez are broadcasted thru the iPhone App.

Does anyone have any actual experience listening to the XM Sirius iPhone App? If so, how is it?
QUOTE Thanks
Noxian

Noxian is a jewel in the roughNoxian is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.2ghz, 3GB, 250GB - 16GB White iPhone 3G - 2nd Gen 1GB Shuffle

I listed to it all the time through pockettunes because the sirius app isnt available in canada yet, it works alright.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iPhone and BlackBerry Tour | Personal Assistant App Problems »