Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22
  1. #1

    TattooedMac's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 19, 2009
    Location
    Waiting for a mate . . .
    Posts
    8,441
    Specs:
    21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
    Why do we have to pay to update to 3.0?
    Have purchased the 2gen itouch and for the life of me cant understand why, why, why we have to spend our hard earned $$$$$$$$$$$ on a bloody update to 3.0 ?????? and to top the day off is there any need what so ever for the update to be 237mb or so ???

    This has me so baffled.
    There not a cheap ipod per say and then u have to spend more to update.....
    GRRRRRR

    Anyways what does the rest of the believers think.....
    Im interested
    Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
    Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
    MoTM ☆☆☆

  2. #2


    Member Since
    May 28, 2008
    Posts
    25
    I have to say that I do think it is funny that ipod touch users have to pay for the upgrade. 3.0 upgrade has many more features for the iphone than the ipod touch. Since upgrading, I really only use the copy and paste and spotlight. Sure, there are other minor improvements, but I do find it ironic that the ipod touch 2nd generation users are required to purchase. In any case, $10 isn't that much for me to really kick and scream, but I hear what your saying.

    On top of that, spotlight isn't 100% yet. I find that if I type in an event, in spotlight to find on Calender, it only brings back a few of the times the event shows up on my calender. I can confirm that events that don't show up in spotlight are in fact on my calender on my ipod touch.

    Copy and paste seems great....but whoopeee. My old Palm V had this feature 8-10 years ago.

    Today I tried out the find my iphone feature. Really not that great on the ipod touch. First of all, your ipod touch has to be connected to a wifi network meaning that if you dropped it at a restaurant or movie theatre etc., your out of luck. Second, you will get a general location since it doesn't have a GPS. Finally, on my ipod touch, I turned the sound all of the way down and then tried the feature. I couldn't hear any sound and then realized that volume does matter for the ipod touch. So, it really isn't all that helpful here either.

    I guess gaming between ipod touches could be cool, but I have yet been able to try that out.

    So for me....it has been a pretty expensive copy and paste.

    There was a list of really important things that I sent to apple 8 months ago that I was hoping to see improvements on. Unfortunately, I haven't seen any improvements on those areas. Some of those things are:

    1. After you have saved an event on a calender, you can't move it to another calender.

    2. Contact Groups. Really pretty screwy on the ipod touch. If you have groups formed with other groups, then the ipod touch will not show those other groups in the group.

    3. Email groups. I guess I am the only one on the planet that would love to be able to select a group to send emails out to. You can currently only add one contact at a time and definitely not add a group.

    I have other things, but it really belongs in its own post. So my point is that I was hoping to see other improvements that would really benefit both ipod touch and iphone users and I feel that the features mainly improve the iphone, yet ipod touch users are hit with the cost.
    -Dave Zimmerman
    Intel Mac Pro Quad Core 2.6 Xeon, 11GB RAM OS 10.6.2

  3. #3

    Nighthawk4's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 14, 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    867
    Specs:
    iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
    I updated my 1st Gen iTouch and as yet I have not found anything of the new features that work on it - so it has been a complete waste of money.

    I have not risked updating my iPhone yet, following the posts I have seen regarding problems with it.

  4. #4

    dtravis7's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 04, 2005
    Location
    Modesto, Ca.
    Posts
    29,052
    Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OS10.12, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OS10.12 , iPad Air, iPhone 3GS
    So Copy and Paste does not work on your touch? It does on my friends.

    I have not had ONE issue with 3.0 in my iPhone 3g.

  5. #5

    vansmith's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 19, 2008
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    19,782
    Specs:
    2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dizzi45Z View Post
    Today I tried out the find my iphone feature. Really not that great on the ipod touch. First of all, your ipod touch has to be connected to a wifi network meaning that if you dropped it at a restaurant or movie theatre etc., your out of luck. Second, you will get a general location since it doesn't have a GPS. Finally, on my ipod touch, I turned the sound all of the way down and then tried the feature. I couldn't hear any sound and then realized that volume does matter for the ipod touch. So, it really isn't all that helpful here either.
    I have my fair share of gripes with 3.0 but this complaint is a little silly. First off, you must know that because the iTouch doesn't have GPS you're only going to get an approx. location when it looks for your location. The fact that it can estimate the location of your iTouch using wifi signals is pretty amazing and I ask you to show me a PMP that lacks a GPS chip/cell signal that can do something similar. The Skyhook location service said I was 49m from my house when I asked it to find my location. That's pretty close for a technology that uses wifi signals to estimate my location.

    Your problems are groundless because you're trying to compare the iTouch to a phone and complaining that certain features don't work because it lacks the essential hardware/software that it just doesn't have/isn't capable of. This is like me complaining that a Jeep Cherokee can't go as fast as a Porsche Carrera GT. In this case, of course the Jeep can't go as fast because it wasn't engineered to do so. In terms of the iTouch, it can't do what the iPhone does in certain respects because it wasn't engineered to do so. In short, you're expecting way too much out of a device that wasn't designed to do what you want it to do. If you're this dissatisfied with your iTouch, buy an iPhone.

    And while I'll I am perturbed by the $10 upgrade fee, think of how much more money goes into an iPhone. You spend $10 every ~ 4.29 days for an iPhone (assuming you spend $70 for voice and data a month). How much would you spend on your iTouch every 4.29 days?
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
    Writing a Quality Post

  6. #6

    CrimsonRequiem's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 24, 2008
    Posts
    6,004
    Specs:
    MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
    Quote Originally Posted by tattooedmac View Post
    Have purchased the 2gen itouch and for the life of me cant understand why, why, why we have to spend our hard earned $$$$$$$$$$$ on a bloody update to 3.0 ?????? and to top the day off is there any need what so ever for the update to be 237mb or so ???

    This has me so baffled.
    There not a cheap ipod per say and then u have to spend more to update.....
    GRRRRRR

    Anyways what does the rest of the believers think.....
    Im interested
    No one is forcing you to upgrade to 3.0. The last version before 3.0 still works the last time I checked. >_>"

  7. #7

    TattooedMac's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 19, 2009
    Location
    Waiting for a mate . . .
    Posts
    8,441
    Specs:
    21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post
    No one is forcing you to upgrade to 3.0. The last version before 3.0 still works the last time I checked. >_>"

    BANG, BANG, didnt you hit the nail on the head..... Yes no-one is twisting my arm to upgrade. 100% correct....
    My point was though why do we have to pay for it ... IF we do want to upgrade???

    I didnt pay for the 10.5.7 for my MB... they call that a UPDATE no $$$$ spent but if they call it a UPGRADE does that give them the right to charge ????

    Was looking into the future really when i UPGRADED.... if they come out with cool APPS in the future and you need the upgrade... Dont you like your equipment being the latest and up to date ???
    Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
    Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
    MoTM ☆☆☆

  8. #8

    vansmith's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 19, 2008
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    19,782
    Specs:
    2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)
    No, 2.x.x to 3.0 is more like 10.5 to 10.6, which you have to pay for, if you want to equate the iPhone updates to OS X updates. The 10.5.x updates are like the 2.x.x updates, which are free.

    Quote Originally Posted by tattooedmac View Post
    My point was though why do we have to pay for it ... IF we do want to upgrade???
    Sorry, but this is a vacuous question. We have to pay for upgrades because that's how business works. Like CR said, if you don't want to upgrade, don't. If you do, you have to realize that upgrading costs money. So, contrary to what appears to be your assertion that updates and upgrades are (or should be) synonymous, they aren't. It's not that Apple has decided that one costs money and the other doesn't. There is, in many cases, a big difference between the meanings of the two words.

    So, yes, many of us like our equipment to be up to date. This desire comes with a cost and if you don't like the cost, don't do it. Like you said, no one is forcing you to do it. You can't want something but not want to do something for it. If you did, no one would ever get anything.
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
    Writing a Quality Post

  9. #9

    DiegoD's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 18, 2009
    Posts
    8
    jajajaja just it's necesary to pay for it? can you just... you know...
    Don't think different, Do the difference

  10. #10

    JohnCL's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 29, 2009
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    1,202
    Specs:
    -->
    I personally have no complaints with the upgrade. I gave the $10 fee a brief thought, and then went on. That is the way business works in this world. My wife spends more than that on coffee in a week!

    To me it was well worth it to pay to unlock previously crippled hardware (bluetooth) that was already in place and never active. That bugs me more than the $10 fee. I have happily been wireless with headphones since the day 3.0 came out. One other nice thing was that when I plugged my generation 1 in it got 3.0 too and not at an additional cost. I thought that I would have to pay again and on a generation 1 that is not something that I would have done.

  11. #11


    Member Since
    May 28, 2008
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
    I have my fair share of gripes with 3.0 but this complaint is a little silly. First off, you must know that because the iTouch doesn't have GPS you're only going to get an approx. location when it looks for your location. The fact that it can estimate the location of your iTouch using wifi signals is pretty amazing and I ask you to show me a PMP that lacks a GPS chip/cell signal that can do something similar. The Skyhook location service said I was 49m from my house when I asked it to find my location. That's pretty close for a technology that uses wifi signals to estimate my location.

    Your problems are groundless because you're trying to compare the iTouch to a phone and complaining that certain features don't work because it lacks the essential hardware/software that it just doesn't have/isn't capable of. This is like me complaining that a Jeep Cherokee can't go as fast as a Porsche Carrera GT. In this case, of course the Jeep can't go as fast because it wasn't engineered to do so. In terms of the iTouch, it can't do what the iPhone does in certain respects because it wasn't engineered to do so. In short, you're expecting way too much out of a device that wasn't designed to do what you want it to do. If you're this dissatisfied with your iTouch, buy an iPhone.
    I completely understand the lacking of hardware in the ipod touch. I guess my biggest gripe on find my iphone was the fact that it has a bug on the ipod touch. The bug being the fact that if your ipod touch's volume is down, you will never hear the alarm.

    My other point that I am making is exactly what you are saying. The fact that the ipod touch is missing much of the hardware of the phone, keeps it from taking advantage of many of the new features that 3.0 has. So it seems silly that the people paying for the upgrade would be the ipod touch users.

    But then again...it makes sense if you just want to view it as Apple giving the iphone users a break since they are paying an arm and a leg each month anyways.
    -Dave Zimmerman
    Intel Mac Pro Quad Core 2.6 Xeon, 11GB RAM OS 10.6.2

  12. #12

    macwannabe's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 19, 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    909
    Specs:
    27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*
    i didnt know you could upgrade the gen 1 iPod Touch b/c when i was going to do it.. it stated at the top corner only for 2nd gen iTouches.
    Click the logo to check out my site...

    "learn the basics, learn the rules, and then learn how to break them creatively.." - Phototini

  13. #13

    vansmith's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 19, 2008
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    19,782
    Specs:
    2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)
    I can assure you from first hand experience (being a 1G iTouch owner) that you can install the 3.0 update.
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
    Writing a Quality Post

  14. #14


    Member Since
    Apr 12, 2008
    Posts
    473
    Call me a cynical old brit if you must but:
    Since I upgraded iTunes to 8.2.1 and not bought the version 3.0 upgrade for my iTouch G2, I have had nothing but trouble!

    iTunes locks up and has to be force quit on a regular basis.Very annoying!!
    Can't adjust the volume on iTouch when using it as a remote for my hi-fi. (not sure about this one, but it feels different).

    My main gripe is that iTunes locks up.

    Anyone any ideas?

    Neil

  15. #15

    MacTrooper's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 24, 2009
    Location
    Near the middle
    Posts
    86
    Specs:
    iMac 24", 3.06GHz, 1TB HD, 4GB RAM; MBP 15" 2.53 GHz
    Quote Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
    And while I'll I am perturbed by the $10 upgrade fee, think of how much more money goes into an iPhone. You spend $10 every ~ 4.29 days for an iPhone (assuming you spend $70 for voice and data a month). How much would you spend on your iTouch every 4.29 days?
    A little late here, but just wanted to comment that I think that van is right on the money, so to speak. The iPhone continues to generate income for Apple after you walk out the door, while the iTouch may or may not depending on how much of your content is actually purchased from the iTunes store. Therefore, it is easy to understand how an fee-based upgrade might be seen as a way to draw additional income from existing users who might otherwise generate no additional income for the company after the initial purchase.

    Further, when I think back to all of the gadgets I've owned in the last 15 years, most never had an upgrade offered - the latest operating system (Palm, PPC, Win Mobile, etc.) came out only on new products and too bad if you had bought yours only weeks or months before. So, right off the bat it seems to me a good thing that the upgrade in OS is even available.

    And again, $10 isn't really so bad, given that many would have paid that much for multiple apps to get some of the new features available in the new OS.

    But just as with complaints about the scope of the upgrade itself, you'll never satisfy everyone. If it were free, some would still complain that the features weren't worth the price. And if you couldn't get the upgrade at all (through legal means) some would pay even more to get it through other sources.

    The reality is that we are all subject to the whims of the corporate powers that be. Whether we can get an upgrade or not, whether we will have to pay for it or not, it is really up to them isn't it. Our freedom of choice is to use the product or not, and whether we are willing to pay the asking price for changes (~improvements) in capability and function. Apple is not the only company out there with which we have this sort of relationship and they certainly aren't the worst when it comes to how far they are willing to push their own advantage. It is just the world we live in.
     iMac 24"" 3.06GHz; 4GB RAM w/ Magic Mouse
     MacBook Pro 15" 2.53GHz w/ Magic Mouse
     iPhone 4 32GB
     iPod Classic 160GB

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. QT X Pay Again?
    By sunpacy in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-30-2009, 01:00 PM
  2. Do it myself or pay someone???
    By bargsbeer in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 04-23-2008, 07:31 PM
  3. How much to pay?
    By SlickShoes in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 05-14-2007, 09:11 PM
  4. How Much Would You Pay?
    By evolve in forum Schweb's Lounge
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-15-2006, 05:22 AM
  5. What would you pay for....
    By Sirjammer69 in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-02-2004, 07:11 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •