New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iOS and Apps All your questions and discussion of iOS or iOS Apps.

server "smtp.gmail.com" failed

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

riegeronimo

riegeronimo is on a distinguished road

i have just purchased and unlocked iphone 3g and when trying to set up the account for mail with my gmail account..it says this

server "smtp.gmail.com" failed

i can see emails in my inbox on my phone but cant send anything else out. does anyone know what to do?
QUOTE Thanks
Lycoming

Lycoming will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 24" 4Gb RAM, 1Tb Time Capsule. iPhone 3GS, Macbook

Try this. Main page - Settings > Scroll down to Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Select Gmail> Ensure the account is switched on; then check the outgoing mail server is smtp.gmail.com Click on th earrow > The primary server should be smtp.gmail.com and is selected on. My 3gs shows other smtp servers in a list below the primary, gmail is also on that list but is selected 'Off'. As it's working very happily I'm not going to touch it.

Good luck with yours.
QUOTE Thanks
riegeronimo

riegeronimo is on a distinguished road

i tried that..i have also made sure my SSL is turned on which it is. its very strange.. i have done everything that more than one site has told me to do and dont it step by step.. but nothing.. i can receive email..just cant send anything
QUOTE Thanks
unbelievable

unbelievable is on a distinguished road

I've got this problem too - has anyone sorted this???
QUOTE Thanks
Lycoming

Lycoming will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 24" 4Gb RAM, 1Tb Time Capsule. iPhone 3GS, Macbook

I had a problem this week where I couldn't see or access my mail on my phone or Mac. Inexplicably I had somehow deselected the mailbox from working online.
So, select Mail, go to the top line menu, select Mailbox, 'Take all accounts online'. Hope it helps.
QUOTE Thanks
leopard-user1

leopard-user1 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro, 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, not unibody

I have had a problem for quite a while now, that I can't send mail from my Gmail account, using Mail. It is probably the server. My outgoing server is smtp.gmail.com:my username. Mail thinks that both pop.gmail.com and my SMTP server are offline, but I can access it through webmail.

(from scienceteecher.com)
17" MacBook Pro, OSX 10.6.2 Snow Leopard
QUOTE Thanks
novicew

novicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)

Generally, Gmail has problems with the smtp server. Although I have correctly configures my Mail client, once in a while it also complains about the "failed connection".
QUOTE Thanks
kapilw

kapilw is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by novicew View Post
Generally, Gmail has problems with the smtp server. Although I have correctly configures my Mail client, once in a while it also complains about the "failed connection".

I agree. I frequently have trouble sending via the Gmail smtp server on my iphone 3gs (3.0.1). It's not a question of having the right settings; it is really hit or miss with each attempt to send. Sometimes it sends instantly, sometimes it waits a minute or so before the progress bar actually moves, and other times (more often than not) it just waits and waits until it fails completely. Frustrating to say the least.

It's gotten so annoying that I've just turned off the primary server (smtp.gmail.com) and have turned on the other smtp server, which is my carrier's. (Settings -> Mail,Contacts,Calendars -> gmail Mail account -> SMTP)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iPihone mac mobile me? | Camera Problem »