New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iOS and Apps All your questions and discussion of iOS or iOS Apps.

can you still use the ipod function of a service disabled iphone

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Gonzopoly

Gonzopoly is on a distinguished road

Hey guys,
I am going to get a used iphone from my friend today. The thing is it has no service on it because he has just gotten a new iphone 3gs, so I am wondering if you can still use the ipod function of a service disabled iphone (it cant call or go on the internet, youtube). When i say ipod function, it can still play/upload music and videos right? You can still sync it to itunes and buy apps and put them on the iphone right? I need a honest and accurate answer,
Thanks very much
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Collin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S

Honest answer - no problem - accurate, now that is a bit more difficult cos what u want to do is rather unusual but having used my iPhone for a year without a data service but with a standard 2.5 GSM connection i see no reason why it would not work. Try it on appro before u pay for it - u should be able to quickly show that it will do what u want.
QUOTE Thanks
Gonzopoly

well my motive is to buy a iphone 3g cheap and save hundreds by just using it as a ipod touch and the big question is: is a unserviced iphone 3g equivalent to an ipod touch?
QUOTE Thanks
Eric559

Eric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: 2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.

Yes. You can probably buy an ipod touch pretty cheap too since many are trying to get rid of the free one apple provided with a computer purchase.

You can do what your wanting to do. You can even jailbreak the phone too if you wished. It is possible.

Member Of The Month for December '08.
It's only the internet!
QUOTE Thanks
Gonzopoly

Na man its cool im just trying to take advantage of this awesome offer, you see hes kind of rich so he said he might sell it to me for 20 bucks or he might just give it to me.
QUOTE Thanks
leopard-user1

leopard-user1 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro, 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, not unibody

You can use it as an iPod Touch with extra features, such as a microphone, better speakers, and bluetooth.

(from scienceteecher.com)
17" MacBook Pro, OSX 10.6.2 Snow Leopard
QUOTE Thanks
macwannabe

macwannabe is a jewel in the roughmacwannabe is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*

wow free 3G thats sweet. my friend has a rich friend that gave him is 3G for free-99. must be nice..

Click the logo to check out my site...

"learn the basics, learn the rules, and then learn how to break them creatively.." - Phototini
QUOTE Thanks
rokev31@aol.ocm

rokev31@aol.ocm is on a distinguished road

u can still use it as a ipod and add apps and add movies and if you have a wifi connection in youre home or work place you can still acces the internet only if you have a wifi connection
QUOTE Thanks
JohnCL

JohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: -->

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopard-user1 View Post
You can use it as an iPod Touch with extra features, such as a microphone, better speakers, and bluetooth.
Well, the 2nd gen touch has bluetooth, and a microphone with the right headphones and as far as the better speakers goes that is a non issue. Anyone using it as an ipod probably uses headphones anyway.

In any case this is a great deal for the OP to take advantage of.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Hotel Wi Fi Changed my Mail Settings | Microsoft Outlook compat with iPhone »