New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iOS and Apps All your questions and discussion of iOS or iOS Apps.

iPhone 3GS Tethering Works

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Jaygray

Jaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD

Holy crap this works on my non-jailbroken 3GS! Had it up and running in less than a minute.

How To Activate Internet Tethering Now On iPhone OS 3.0 : iSmashPhone
QUOTE Thanks
mdfuller

mdfuller is a jewel in the roughmdfuller is a jewel in the roughmdfuller is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15-inch MacBook Pro

Holy crap. It works. Writing this reply with it!
QUOTE Thanks
Jaygray

Jaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the rough

I've been using it for a little while now and it's lightning quick. For web browsing, I can't tell I'm not using my DSL.

(BTW: I'm in the US w/ AT&T)
QUOTE Thanks
mdfuller

mdfuller is a jewel in the roughmdfuller is a jewel in the roughmdfuller is a jewel in the rough

It did break my voicemail though! I had to reset my network settings to get it back. Whew!
QUOTE Thanks
Jaygray

First thing I did was check my voicemail. Works perfectly. Been tethered for an hour now. Just checked it again.
QUOTE Thanks
mdfuller

After reading all the posts it seems it is hit or miss. Some people are reporting broken functionality and others (like you) are not. Either way it is cool. Resetting the network stuff is simple enough.
QUOTE Thanks
Jaygray

QUOTE Thanks
chrismac

chrismac has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15.4" uMBP: iPhone 4

Will your service providers find out that you are using their networks for your PC internet use?
QUOTE Thanks
Jaygray

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismac View Post
Will your service providers find out that you are using their networks for your PC internet use?
People have been doing it for years with other apps such as USB Modem, PDANet, etc. Unless you're transferring a ridiculous amount of data (running a server off a tethered phone) you simply fly under the radar. I think you'd be more likely to have someone banging on your door in the middle of the night demanding that you gave up your jailbroken/unlocked iphone. How many people has that happened to?

Until AT&T has a legitimate option to tether which they can charge for, they will be content to let sleeping dogs lie and quietly collect their $125 a month from each of us.
QUOTE Thanks
Aphus

Aphus is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.8GHz, 4GB RAM 15" MBP (Late 2008)

Tethering over the 3g network is just a sinch slower than using the WiFi I have at home. I can definitely see myself using this when internet is nonexistant! Shame AT&T will eventually charge for this, though.

15" MacBook Pro + 16GB iPhone 4 + 16GB iPad 2 3G
QUOTE Thanks
chrismac

chrismac has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15.4" uMBP: iPhone 4

O2 in the uk charge for this facility. They started it when the 3GS was released. It's around £10 a month.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iPhone mail sync issue - IMAP Account | iTunes Store on my iPhone is acting very strange »