New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iOS and Apps All your questions and discussion of iOS or iOS Apps.

Gmail + iPhone won't update one another?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

caly312

caly312 is on a distinguished road

So with my AOL account, when I do something on my iPhone, it does it on my Mac Mail program. If I delete from iPhone, it will delete from my Mail inbox on my computer . . . and visa versa!

With Gmail, this does not happen. If I delete an e-mail from my Mac Mail inbox, it won't delete from my Gmail. So I have to delete all my Gmails AGAIN after deleting them from my computer e-mail.

I have deleted and re-set up the account many times, even going to "OTHER" under the iPhone mail settings.

Please help! Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Are you using IMAP or POP3? Only IMAP will cascade deletions I believe.

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
iLaw

iLaw is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" (Mid 2010), iPhone 3GS

According to Gmail's Help section, if you are running OS 1.1.3 or later, Gmail should automatically be setup in IMAP.

Cascade deletions should sync with Gmail servers, just as marking an item "read" should.

iLaw
MacBook Pro 15" (Mid 2010) + White 32GB Rogers iPhone 3GS
2.66 GHz Intel Core i7, 4 GB DDR3 RAM, 500 GB 7200 RPM Hard Drive, Intel HD/512 MB GeForce 330M Graphics, Hi-Res 15" Glossy Screen, Mac OS X v10.6
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLaw View Post
According to Gmail's Help section, if you are running OS 1.1.3 or later, Gmail should automatically be setup in IMAP.

Cascade deletions should sync with Gmail servers, just as marking an item "read" should.
That's the case on the iPhone, but not on your Mac.
The auto-configure feature in Leopard mail still sets up as POP if I'M not mistaken.
QUOTE Thanks
leopard-user1

leopard-user1 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro, 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, not unibody

So that means that I have to change Mac Mail's Gmail to IMAP? I'm having the same problem as caly312.

(from scienceteecher.com)
17" MacBook Pro, OSX 10.6.2 Snow Leopard
QUOTE Thanks
caly312

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopard-user1 View Post
So that means that I have to change Mac Mail's Gmail to IMAP? I'm having the same problem as caly312.

It looks like that is what it means. I changed my Gmail settings to IMAP. I use the Leopard Mail program, and to do this was a little confusing. Below is a link to the instructions from Google. The key, it seems, is when setting up your account in Mail, to AVOID selecting "setup my account automatically."

Hope this prevents you from going through what I went through for a pretty simple thing.
QUOTE Thanks
caly312

Quote:
Originally Posted by caly312 View Post
It looks like that is what it means. I changed my Gmail settings to IMAP. I use the Leopard Mail program, and to do this was a little confusing. Below is a link to the instructions from Google. The key, it seems, is when setting up your account in Mail, to AVOID selecting "setup my account automatically."

Hope this prevents you from going through what I went through for a pretty simple thing.
I forgot the link!

Apple Mail 3.0 (Leopard) - Gmail Help
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iPhone in settings- rearranging loaded applications | Can't get rid of "unsent message" alert for Gmail on iPhone »