New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iOS and Apps All your questions and discussion of iOS or iOS Apps.

Oh no!! I really wanted a full search capability

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ozpete999

ozpete999 is on a distinguished road

Got the new 3.0 software update
Cut and paste - hooray

But the claim that "Search" will spotlight all the iphone is just not true. You STILL cannot search for information stored in any contact fields other than name or company or email address.

So - if I go to a city and want to know the business contacts there..... how do I find them? I certainly can't search by city name, or zip code or notes.

So - Search doesn't work, sadly

Pete
QUOTE Thanks
boneheadz

boneheadz will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: ibook G4, 17 inch intel imac

Just tried because of you post, I can search and find a word in the notes field. (I have a bunch of contacts that have the same word for a smart group) and I also search with the city and got everyone in that city.
QUOTE Thanks
tiger roach

tiger roach has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: iMac 24-inch 3.06GHz

City search not working for me either.

Saying "search doesn't work" is a bit of a stretch though. It has limits, but there is a lot it can do.
QUOTE Thanks
Davcoccio

Davcoccio is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook White 2GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneheadz View Post
Just tried because of you post, I can search and find a word in the notes field. (I have a bunch of contacts that have the same word for a smart group) and I also search with the city and got everyone in that city.
How did you manage to find contact in the same city? My father and I were very sad because we couldn't get that work. We were really looking forward to it!!

QUOTE Thanks
boneheadz

Um maybe I've misunderstood your concern.

I went to the search page, typed "Calgary" and got back a list of addresses with the word in the contact and then other results, but addresses were first.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I wonder if it has anything to do with whether you imported your contacts from a Sim card like I did. I can't get it to find the City from the contact either but everything else. If I put in the name it does. I tried searching from other data that is not in the contact list and Spotlight finds it all.

I am doing some more testing and will get back if I find anything.
QUOTE Thanks
Doppler808

Doppler808 is on a distinguished road

You can adjust the settings of how you want it to search.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppler808 View Post
You can adjust the settings of how you want it to search.
This is the only configuration for the search. It's in General/Home/Search Results. All you can change is the priority order and where it searches. It still will not find the address fields in the contacts.
Attached Images
File Type: png IMG_0045.PNG (33.3 KB, 8 views)
QUOTE Thanks
Doppler808

Hmm It worked for me during beta, and the GM build. Sorry.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppler808 View Post
Hmm It worked for me during beta, and the GM build. Sorry.
If you can find a setting I am missing, please let us know. It works great but just missing that info from the contact info.
QUOTE Thanks
Doppler808

It might be based on the sim card save. My sim card has 0 contacts since I got it and All my contacts are from my Address Book/Mobileme. I think you might be on to something.
QUOTE Thanks
boneheadz

sorry if this seems dumb, but do you have the city field filled in in the address book
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Not to sound mean or anything but would I be searching for data that did not exist and blaming Spotlight for not finding it?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« OS 3.0 file location? | Itouch gen 2 taking calendar and syn with computer? »