New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iOS and Apps All your questions and discussion of iOS or iOS Apps.

iTunes albums split in two

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Davanw

Davanw is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MBP

As a recent 'switcher' I've been very hesitant to start using iTunes. But I've been very impressed with all the iLife applications so I thought I'd give it a go.

Among other quirks that take some getting used to, one thing I can't figure out is why I have several albums split into two separate albums in the Library. I've gone through and manually made sure tags match to try to get them to merge, and this worked for a few of them... but I can't possibly do this for my entire Library (over 120GB of mp3s!).

There must be a quicker way to merge these albums. A little help? Thanks so much in advance!
QUOTE Thanks
Davanw

Not a single suggestion?
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Give people time to respond, this isn't an on-demand help center.

This usually happens if there is a tag mismatch somewhere, sometimes it can be something as small as a space in one of the tag fields. It can also happen if some tracks are tagged as "Part of a compilation" and some are not.

QUOTE Thanks
MacInWin

MacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, 2008 iMac, iPhone 5S, iPad mini, 13" MBP and MacMini

What I have found is that something in the details of the tracks is different. Assuming the album is split into Songs1 and Songs2, pick a track in Songs1 and right click on it, then "get info." Note the data on the Info tab. Now close that window and go to Songs2, do the same and then compare the info. If the two parts of the album are next to each other in your list, you can use the "Previous" and "Next" buttons to switch between the two sets. Find what is different, and make it not be different. As soon as the info is identical, the albums will merge. I find it usually happens for a compilation album of different sources, or an album where the prime performer is alone on one track and in a group on another. Making them identical may be incorrect detail data, but it does get the album together, which was preferable for me.
QUOTE Thanks
Davanw

this is exactly what i'm experiencing, Jakerich. However with literally THOUSANDS of albums in my library, there's no way I can do this for all the split albums. It would be a full time job! There must be a way to automate this........
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Myst | The Ideal iPhone/iPod Touch Application »