New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iOS and Apps All your questions and discussion of iOS or iOS Apps.

Transfer

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

fvsurfer

fvsurfer is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.0GHz, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB DDR2 Memory, 120 GB hard drive

How do I transfer all of my iTunes songs from my desktop PC to my Macbook without paying money at the Genius Bar at the Apple store?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

There are many ways. Via Network file transfer, Optical Media, Flash Drive, External Hard Drive. If you use an external drive or flash drive, just copy the itunes folder if it will fit to the external drive and drop them into iTunes on your Macbook and have it set to make a copy to the iTunes folder.

If some of your music is the older Apple ITMS store songs with DRM, you can activate up to 5 computers to play the songs. Be sure to do that with the Macbook. The new DRM free songs and any you ripped off your own CD's won't have that issue.

If you need more of an explanation and where the music is, let us know.
QUOTE Thanks
fvsurfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
There are many ways. Via Network file transfer, Optical Media, Flash Drive, External Hard Drive. If you use an external drive or flash drive, just copy the itunes folder if it will fit to the external drive and drop them into iTunes on your Macbook and have it set to make a copy to the iTunes folder.

If some of your music is the older Apple ITMS store songs with DRM, you can activate up to 5 computers to play the songs. Be sure to do that with the Macbook. The new DRM free songs and any you ripped off your own CD's won't have that issue.

If you need more of an explanation and where the music is, let us know.
What do you suggest is the best and fastest way of doing it? And especially the safest for both computers?
QUOTE Thanks
J.Fo

J.Fo is a jewel in the roughJ.Fo is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac, late 2012 model, 21"

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvsurfer View Post
What do you suggest is the best and fastest way of doing it? And especially the safest for both computers?
Any of the options outlined above would be safe and fast. The option that's best suited for you would depend on your situation. For instance, how many music files do you have? How much hard drive space does your music collection consume? Do you have a home network set up and if so, have you set up both computers to transfer files with each other?

Likewise, do you have an external hard drive or flash drive you can use? Would you be able to burn your collection onto CD- or DVD-ROMs without using an outrageous number of discs?

A little more information about your situation might help us point you in the correct direction better.
QUOTE Thanks
carleymarie

carleymarie is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.16 GHz, 2GB RAM, 160GB HDD. 16 GB Wi-Fi iPad, 16 GB iPhone 3GS.

There is a simple method in iTunes to transfer your music using only a couple dvd-r's.

In iTunes, File -> Library -> Back Up To Disk.

Once you create this, you'll simply be able to open iTunes, insert your back up disk(s) and import your library.

♥ MacBook 2.16 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 160 GB HDD ♥ 16GB Wi-Fi iPad ♥ 16 GB iPhone 3GS ♥
♥ 3G Red 8 GB iPod nano ♥ 2G silver 4 GB iPod mini ♥ 2G purple 1 GB iPod shuffle ♥ 4G orange 2 GB iPod shuffle ♥
QUOTE Thanks
bad.heron

bad.heron is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 15.4" Macbook Pro, 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR3, 128GB SSD Drive, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M+9600M GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by carleymarie View Post
There is a simple method in iTunes to transfer your music using only a couple dvd-r's.

Once you create this, you'll simply be able to open iTunes, insert your back up disk(s) and import your library.
Probably the simplest and best way.

15.4" Apple Unibody Macbook Pro Mac OS X Snow Leopard (10.6.4), 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB 1066Mz DDR3 SDRAM (2x2GB), 128GB Solid State Drive (SSD), NVIDIA GeForce 9400M + 9600M GT with 512MB, SuperDrive 8X - Apple Remote Infrared (IR) - Logitech MX Performance 2.4 GHz Wireless - Apple Keyboard Bluetooth - iPhone 4 32GB, Black
QUOTE Thanks
fvsurfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Fo View Post
Any of the options outlined above would be safe and fast. The option that's best suited for you would depend on your situation. For instance, how many music files do you have? How much hard drive space does your music collection consume? Do you have a home network set up and if so, have you set up both computers to transfer files with each other?

Likewise, do you have an external hard drive or flash drive you can use? Would you be able to burn your collection onto CD- or DVD-ROMs without using an outrageous number of discs?

A little more information about your situation might help us point you in the correct direction better.
In terms of music files, I have over 3,000 songs. Hard drive space...over 15? Home network setup = no. What is that and how would i do that?

I do have a flash drive which holds up to 1 gb.
QUOTE Thanks
fvsurfer

Quote:

How high can dvd-r's go in terms of gb? Since I have over 3,000 songs.
QUOTE Thanks
fvsurfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad.heron View Post
Probably the simplest and best way.
I might have to do this then.
QUOTE Thanks
carleymarie

Mac Specs: MacBook 2.16 GHz, 2GB RAM, 160GB HDD. 16 GB Wi-Fi iPad, 16 GB iPhone 3GS.

Quote:
How high can dvd-r's go in terms of gb? Since I have over 3,000 songs.
When I did mine I only had about 1,000 songs, but I did have somewhere close to 50 episodes of television shows which take up a lot more space.

Mine only took 2 or 3 disks to transfer over the whole lot using basic 4.7 GB dvd-r's.

I hope that helps.

♥ 3G Red 8 GB iPod nano ♥ 2G silver 4 GB iPod mini ♥ 2G purple 1 GB iPod shuffle ♥ 4G orange 2 GB iPod shuffle ♥
QUOTE Thanks
Eric559

Eric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: 2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.

There's nothing more simple then dragging your collection to a external drive then dragging them to your mac.

Member Of The Month for December '08.
It's only the internet!
QUOTE Thanks
fvsurfer

Quote:
When I did mine I only had about 1,000 songs, but I did have somewhere close to 50 episodes of television shows which take up a lot more space.

Mine only took 2 or 3 disks to transfer over the whole lot using basic 4.7 GB dvd-r's.

I hope that helps.
Will a dvd-r be able to be used by my CD-Rom drive on my desktop PC. Or do I need another drive for the dvd-r to transfer my songs?
QUOTE Thanks
carleymarie

Quote:
Will a dvd-r be able to be used by my CD-Rom drive on my desktop PC. Or do I need another drive for the dvd-r to transfer my songs?
You can't use a dvd in a cd-rom drive. You need a DVD+/-RW drive to burn the dvd's. Then you need one that at least reads dvd's to import.

QUOTE Thanks
fvsurfer

Quote:
You can't use a dvd in a cd-rom drive. You need a DVD+/-RW drive to burn the dvd's. Then you need one that at least reads dvd's to import.
Shoot. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
carleymarie

I actually just noticed that you can use cd's in the iTunes 'Back Up to Disk.' I'd imagine that it is a similar process. You should check it out.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iPhone "Other" space | Cant sync apps? »