New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iOS and Apps All your questions and discussion of iOS or iOS Apps.

Restoring from a Backup.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Ok, here is the deal. I Jailbroke my iPhone. Yeah, yeah, yeah, no big deal and it didn't get hosed in the process.

I have done a back up or two since I jailbroke it. Now I like the cool stuff you can get with the Jailbreak, but much of it seems, well, shoddy and the Springboard tends to crash more than it should. I really don't like the decreased battery life either.

All that being said, I want to return my iPhone to it's non-Jailbroken state. Now I know I can simply click "Restore"in iTunes and it will go back there. However my real question is what if if I restore from the backup done while the phone was Jailbroken? Do the backups backup all the firmware as well or just the apps/data? Will restoring from the backup done while jailbroken result in a still jailbroken phone?

Anyone???

QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Well, I went to try and iTunes actually tells you that it only restores Texts, E-Mails, Apps and Settings but not Firmware. Guess that answered that questions.

QUOTE Thanks
Mr Macintosh

Mr Macintosh can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: New iMac 20" Leopard vs. 10.5.7

you shouldn't really have jailbroken it in the first place!
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Macintosh View Post
you shouldn't really have jailbroken it in the first place!
Why? There are benefits to doing so and some really cool software out there (putting folders on the iPhones desktop is a lot better way to manage apps than 5 or 6 screens you have to scroll through) and I know a number of folks who are happy with their JB phones. I simply don't like the reduced battery life for normal use.

Either way, it's not really up to you what I do with my iPhone. Nothing bad happened, I just wanted to make sure I knew what I might lose before I reverted back. In the future, please keep your oh-so insightful comments to yourself unless you have something useful to add to the conversation.

QUOTE Thanks
Mr Macintosh

yeah, i know, but was it really worth it, now that you have decreased battery life, and made it crash more? And potentially, if it breaks down completely, Apple won't fix it! They don't fix jailbroken products, as does nobody else.
QUOTE Thanks
Mr Macintosh

And technically, it isn't an iPhone anymore. It has changed into something not worth it. I have a friend whose iPhone died after about a month of being jailbroken and Apple wouldn't take it from him.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

Quote:
yeah, i know, but was it really worth it, now that you have decreased battery life, and made it crash more? And potentially, if it breaks down completely, Apple won't fix it! They don't fix jailbroken products, as does nobody else.
Sure it was worth it, if only to see what the fuss was all about. Restoring it will not be a big deal, I won't lose anything. Potentially it could break down, so could any other piece of electronics gear, so what? If you spend your whole life worrying about "what if" then you have issues.

Quote:
And technically, it isn't an iPhone anymore. It has changed into something not worth it. I have a friend whose iPhone died after about a month of being jailbroken and Apple wouldn't take it from him.
Yes it is, it is just running a modified firmware. It's not Apples stock firmware, but it works the same and provides identical functionality. To me, it was worth trying. You may be different and that is ok too, to each their own. Your friends experience is different than mine as are everybody else's. In the end, I have no problem with having done the JB, I just think I may go back to the original firmware.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« I am looking for iphone apps programmers | Some albums don't show on list when trying to sync »