iTunes is ruining my iPods
    I think.

So here is the deal. I have been downloading movies for years now so I have covered most basic tiral and error.

It all started a couple nights ago when I dragged in about 4 shows and pressed the sync button.
    iTunes showed it was syncing the usual way where it says "loading xxxx 1 of 4"
    I eject my iPod and walk over to the TV plug and none of the shows are on the ipod.
    So I go back.
    Do it again. iTunes says its loading them, I eject and sure enought they are Not on the ipod.
    I do it again and again.
    What I do notice however is that the 'other' sector of the ipod is growing everytime I sync.

So I figure this is a problem with my 80g video.

So I plug in my touch.
    Load the videos it says "loading xxx 1 of 4" I eject, take a look and nothing..
    Try again...Nothing BUT the 'other' folder is growing in size. So... I do some more drastic measures.
    I reformat the 80g Video.
    after the reformat there are no videos and no music as it put all the music into the 'other' folder where I cant find it or play it or anything.

I reformat the touch...same scenario.

I try my iPhone...wont load the videos so I leave it alone cause Im ot rising anything else.

I drag itunes into the recycle bin and delete it.
    re-download it
    install
    Same thing...
    Ever heard of this?
    Im losing it.
    Help.

Try dragging com.apple.iTunes.plist onto the desktop.
    Located in ~/Library/Preferences/

Quote Originally Posted by dbnoise View Post
    Ill try that next. In the meantime here is where Im at:

Ok So Im Running

OS 10.5.6
    iTunes 8.02
    iPod Video Version 1.3
    Touch Version 1.1.5

Have completely uninstalled and reinstalled iTunes now.
    Still similar issue.
    I can however get it to take some files when iTunes does the sync (i dont know how it selects what to keep and not move into "other").
    By dragging them in directly while in "manually manage music and video" function I can get them to take all the movie files.

Has taken the last 5 videos I have manually pulled in.
    There was one it wouldn't take so I converted it (even thought it was iPod ready) in Handbreak and dragged it in. It has stayed thus far.

Complet uninstall and reinstall of iTunes may have worked...although it wasn't immediate. I am still to try out the touch.

**Edit** So the Sync function still doesnt work right. Right now I can only manuall add files to the iPod Video. The touch still wont take anything. Ill reformat them again and uninstall then reinstall itunes tomorrow. Weird

Quote Originally Posted by dbnoise View Post
    That folder doesnt exist.
    I probably pulled it when I completely uninstalled iTunes and it isn't there.
    Any other suggestions? Has anyone seen this before?

Specs:
    27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.11, Mac Mini i5 (2014), iPhone6s, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 9.7, AppleTV (4)
    As you have just about eliminated iTunes and your devices from fault I'd suggest it's the file format that's at fault.......

What's the source of the videos? Directly from iTunes store or have you copied them into iTunes manually?

Can you play the files in iTunes/Quicktime?

Try taking one of your troublesome files and converting it using the ipod/iphone profile from ffmpegx/handbrake/iSquint/VisualHub etc
    Not been around these parts for a while. Trying to change that . .

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - bottom left of this post

Specs:
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    Quote Originally Posted by ffrost3 View Post
    That folder doesnt exist.
    I probably pulled it when I completely uninstalled iTunes and it isn't there.
    Any other suggestions? Has anyone seen this before?
    Look again: ~ is your user folder, not the MacIntosh HD folder
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

Quote Originally Posted by mrplow View Post
    As you have just about eliminated iTunes and your devices from fault I'd suggest it's the file format that's at fault.......

What's the source of the videos? Directly from iTunes store or have you copied them into iTunes manually?

Can you play the files in iTunes/Quicktime?

Try taking one of your troublesome files and converting it using the ipod/iphone profile from ffmpegx/handbrake/iSquint/VisualHub etc
    Yeah they all play in itunes and quicktime. They are not from the itunes store however. They have either been downloaded or made using handbreak on the ipod function.

Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OSX10.11, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OSX10.11 , iPad Air, iPhone 3GS
    Did you read Bobtomays post right above yours? That " is your username. That folder has to be there.

Quote Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
    Did you read Bobtomays post right above yours? That " is your username. That folder has to be there.
    Ok I see. Found it and dragged it my desktop.

*Edit*

Ok so It seems I am confined to only manually managing these iPods. Im not bothered by this, but I am bothered by the fact that I cant auto-syc. Its just a bit frustrating when you lose the freedom to make things work the way they should...at least it works one way though.

Thread Information