New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iOS and Apps All your questions and discussion of iOS or iOS Apps.

iTunes is ruining my iPods

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ffrost3

ffrost3 is on a distinguished road

I think.

So here is the deal. I have been downloading movies for years now so I have covered most basic tiral and error.

It all started a couple nights ago when I dragged in about 4 shows and pressed the sync button.
iTunes showed it was syncing the usual way where it says "loading xxxx 1 of 4"
I eject my iPod and walk over to the TV plug and none of the shows are on the ipod.
So I go back.
Do it again. iTunes says its loading them, I eject and sure enought they are Not on the ipod.
I do it again and again.
What I do notice however is that the 'other' sector of the ipod is growing everytime I sync.

So I figure this is a problem with my 80g video.

So I plug in my touch.
Load the videos it says "loading xxx 1 of 4" I eject, take a look and nothing..
Try again...Nothing BUT the 'other' folder is growing in size. So... I do some more drastic measures.
I reformat the 80g Video.
after the reformat there are no videos and no music as it put all the music into the 'other' folder where I cant find it or play it or anything.

I reformat the touch...same scenario.

I try my iPhone...wont load the videos so I leave it alone cause Im ot rising anything else.

I drag itunes into the recycle bin and delete it.
re-download it
install
Same thing...
Ever heard of this?
Im losing it.
Help.
QUOTE Thanks
dbnoise

dbnoise will become famous soon enough

Try dragging com.apple.iTunes.plist onto the desktop.
Located in ~/Library/Preferences/
QUOTE Thanks
ffrost3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbnoise View Post
Ill try that next. In the meantime here is where Im at:

Ok So Im Running

OS 10.5.6
iTunes 8.02
iPod Video Version 1.3
Touch Version 1.1.5

Have completely uninstalled and reinstalled iTunes now.
Still similar issue.
I can however get it to take some files when iTunes does the sync (i dont know how it selects what to keep and not move into "other").
By dragging them in directly while in "manually manage music and video" function I can get them to take all the movie files.

Has taken the last 5 videos I have manually pulled in.
There was one it wouldn't take so I converted it (even thought it was iPod ready) in Handbreak and dragged it in. It has stayed thus far.

Complet uninstall and reinstall of iTunes may have worked...although it wasn't immediate. I am still to try out the touch.

**Edit** So the Sync function still doesnt work right. Right now I can only manuall add files to the iPod Video. The touch still wont take anything. Ill reformat them again and uninstall then reinstall itunes tomorrow. Weird
QUOTE Thanks
ffrost3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbnoise View Post
That folder doesnt exist.
I probably pulled it when I completely uninstalled iTunes and it isn't there.
Any other suggestions? Has anyone seen this before?
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad Air, AppleTV2

As you have just about eliminated iTunes and your devices from fault I'd suggest it's the file format that's at fault.......

What's the source of the videos? Directly from iTunes store or have you copied them into iTunes manually?

Can you play the files in iTunes/Quicktime?

Try taking one of your troublesome files and converting it using the ipod/iphone profile from ffmpegx/handbrake/iSquint/VisualHub etc

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffrost3 View Post
That folder doesnt exist.
I probably pulled it when I completely uninstalled iTunes and it isn't there.
Any other suggestions? Has anyone seen this before?
Look again: ~ is your user folder, not the MacIntosh HD folder

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
ffrost3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrplow View Post
As you have just about eliminated iTunes and your devices from fault I'd suggest it's the file format that's at fault.......

What's the source of the videos? Directly from iTunes store or have you copied them into iTunes manually?

Can you play the files in iTunes/Quicktime?

Try taking one of your troublesome files and converting it using the ipod/iphone profile from ffmpegx/handbrake/iSquint/VisualHub etc
Yeah they all play in itunes and quicktime. They are not from the itunes store however. They have either been downloaded or made using handbreak on the ipod function.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Did you read Bobtomays post right above yours? That " is your username. That folder has to be there.
QUOTE Thanks
ffrost3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
Did you read Bobtomays post right above yours? That " is your username. That folder has to be there.
Ok I see. Found it and dragged it my desktop.

*Edit*

Ok so It seems I am confined to only manually managing these iPods. Im not bothered by this, but I am bothered by the fact that I cant auto-syc. Its just a bit frustrating when you lose the freedom to make things work the way they should...at least it works one way though.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« just updated the software on my 3g, no longer jailbroken.. | iPhone synced on PC without Outlook »