New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iOS and Apps All your questions and discussion of iOS or iOS Apps.

Syncing Shared Calendars from Exchange


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
ffohwx

 
Member Since: Feb 06, 2009
Posts: 5
ffohwx is on a distinguished road

ffohwx is offline
I have an iPod Touch that I have my email and calendar synced to through an MS Exchange server. My calendar syncs, but calendars that are shared with me do not. Is it possible to sync those shared calendars? I saw where you cannot sync multiple Outlook calendars via iTunes, but I have seen nothing on my actual issue.
QUOTE Thanks
IanCT

 
IanCT's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 25, 2004
Location: California
Posts: 497
IanCT will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4

IanCT is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffohwx View Post
I have an iPod Touch that I have my email and calendar synced to through an MS Exchange server. My calendar syncs, but calendars that are shared with me do not. Is it possible to sync those shared calendars? I saw where you cannot sync multiple Outlook calendars via iTunes, but I have seen nothing on my actual issue.
Shared calendars only appear in the Outlook client on your PC and do not sync with any phone. Same goes for Outlook Web Access - you will only see your own Inbox/Calendar/Contacts.

I believe the iPhone accesses Exchange using the OWA HTTP protocol as the Windows Smartphones do, that's why there is no additional configuration needed on an Exchange Server when you link an iPhone with your Exchange account.
QUOTE Thanks
ffohwx

 
Member Since: Feb 06, 2009
Posts: 5
ffohwx is on a distinguished road

ffohwx is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanCT View Post
Shared calendars only appear in the Outlook client on your PC and do not sync with any phone. Same goes for Outlook Web Access - you will only see your own Inbox/Calendar/Contacts.

I believe the iPhone accesses Exchange using the OWA HTTP protocol as the Windows Smartphones do, that's why there is no additional configuration needed on an Exchange Server when you link an iPhone with your Exchange account.
I looked and it is using the OWA to sync, so if I manually reconfigure it to use the actual Exchange server like my Outlook client does, do you think it would work?
QUOTE Thanks
IanCT

 
IanCT's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 25, 2004
Location: California
Posts: 497
IanCT will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4

IanCT is offline
I'm not sure how you mean, as far as I can tell the setup parameters are the same, the iPhone asks for the Exchange Server host name, your username and password. Same as the Outlook client (sans password if on a domain).

I don't think you can sync shared calendars on an iPhone. I just checked mine and it doesn't show Public Folders either.
QUOTE Thanks
ffohwx

 
Member Since: Feb 06, 2009
Posts: 5
ffohwx is on a distinguished road

ffohwx is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanCT View Post
I'm not sure how you mean, as far as I can tell the setup parameters are the same, the iPhone asks for the Exchange Server host name, your username and password. Same as the Outlook client (sans password if on a domain).

I don't think you can sync shared calendars on an iPhone. I just checked mine and it doesn't show Public Folders either.
We have 3 Exchange servers each syncing with each other and handling different aspects (in this case OWA -- simply manages web access to the other 2 servers--, Students, Staff/Faculty. MS actually uses us as a model and supports us free of charge due to the fact that our Exchange system handles more than what MS designed it for, and they like keeping up on what difficulties we have.)

My iPod Touch automatically connected to the OWA server, which is not the same one that my Outlook Client uses. I was wondering if manually reconfiguring my iPod to use that server would sync the additional calendars and public folders. I did go ahead and try that, and it failed to connect, so apparently that idea won't work. My assumption from what you are telling me and my experiment is that it simply is not possible. I may have to contact Apple to suggest that as a future feature in another update. It would really be helpful in my work.
QUOTE Thanks
IanCT

 
IanCT's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 25, 2004
Location: California
Posts: 497
IanCT will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4

IanCT is offline
Do all three Exchange servers have public IP's? It sounds like the one with OWA is your bridgehead server and the other two are behind a firewall.

But if you tried to use an Exchange Server (assuming all three have public IP's) that your mailbox isn't homed on, that could be why it failed to connect.

Give some feedback to Apple AND Microsoft. But if the iPhone continues to use OWA for syncing, and Microsoft doesn't develop OWA to support shared calendars, you might be SOL for the moment.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« To Do List | Sync from iPhone to new MacBook »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Contacts and calendars syncing problems chrisirwin6 iOS and Apps 1 11-09-2008 02:40 AM
Mac Mail and Exchange 2003 maximusimo OS X - Apps and Games 0 01-16-2008 12:10 PM
is there a way to synchronize iCal and google calendars? Capt Crunch OS X - Apps and Games 1 12-29-2007 05:21 PM
ical shared Calendars vedder10 OS X - Apps and Games 0 10-29-2007 09:04 PM
NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED appears in access to XP Shared printer globus Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac 0 04-13-2007 02:55 AM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:14 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?