New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iOS and Apps All your questions and discussion of iOS or iOS Apps.

I updated my unlocked iphone, now not compatible

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

johnny321

johnny321 is on a distinguished road

I updated my unlocked iphone to the new software update, now I cant use it as SIM is not compatible. Is there anyway of downgrading software, and even if i can so this will i be able to use it again or have to get it unlocked.

thanks, any help appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

It's because those updates tend to get rid of software unlocks. I'm not exactly sure whether you can successfully downgrade the software. You could try downloading the older firmware, hold Shift while pressing restore in iTunes, and then select the older firmware file. Theoretically it should work, but you may very well lose your backup as it has most likely been converted to work with the newer firmware. You will also have to very likely unlock the phone again.

You should also search around to see if an unlock is available for the firmware version you're running.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
Noxian

Noxian is a jewel in the roughNoxian is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.2ghz, 3GB, 250GB - 16GB White iPhone 3G - 2nd Gen 1GB Shuffle

If you updated to the latest software then it also updated the baseband (the GSM radio) There currently is no way to downgrade the baseband on the iPhone 3G.

I am holding off for this reason, not mention the 2nd last software update is pretty solid IMO.
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

I think it's already been worked and unlocked by the dev team. Check out Apple & iPhone 3G News | Forums | ModMyi.com

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
Noxian

Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.2ghz, 3GB, 250GB - 16GB White iPhone 3G - 2nd Gen 1GB Shuffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleurya View Post
I think it's already been worked and unlocked by the dev team. Check out Apple & iPhone 3G News | Forums | ModMyi.com
Thats only if you want to update using the pwnage tool (which requires a full wipe of your iphone) it will pull the baseband update and update the OS only.

If you quickpwn it, it will jailbreak the iphone but still update the baseband which is fine except in the poster above's situation where his baseband has been updated and it now locked to one carrier again.

So I guess hang in there until a update to the pwnage tool or quickpwnage is out. Hopefully you have another cell to swap your SIM into in the meantime.
QUOTE Thanks
johnny321

johnny321 is on a distinguished road

thanks everyone for the help.

i tried reinstalling the old firmware but had no effect.

will probably just go and get it unlocked again

anyone have a rough idea of how much it costs to get it unlocked??

thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Noxian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny321 View Post
thanks everyone for the help.

i tried reinstalling the old firmware but had no effect.

will probably just go and get it unlocked again

anyone have a rough idea of how much it costs to get it unlocked??

thanks
You cant get it unlocked, your baseband is currently not unlockable.
Dev-Team Blog
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Adding new sounds to Alarm/Timer | cydia crashing/offline »