New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iOS and Apps All your questions and discussion of iOS or iOS Apps.

is there a replacement for google maps

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

berrill

berrill is on a distinguished road

The Iphone 3g has just been released in my country, South Africa, only problem is that maps function hardly covers South Africa, is there a way to replace this software to something from Garmin which has a greater coverage for my country.

Thanks Antony
QUOTE Thanks
Noxian

Noxian is a jewel in the roughNoxian is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.2ghz, 3GB, 250GB - 16GB White iPhone 3G - 2nd Gen 1GB Shuffle

Not yet, hopefully soon.

I know alot of us are also waiting for a offline app so you donèt have to have cell service to use the GPS.
QUOTE Thanks
berrill

please please PLEASE send me an message when it comes out, I agree with you re the offline app as it is extremely expensive to use cell service in South Africa.

Thanks for the reply.
QUOTE Thanks
eddielee

eddielee is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" iM ac,13.3" Aluminium Unibody Macbook, iPhone 4

I have to say I'm very surprised google maps dosnt cover africa being as there spending millions on internet services for there.

Thanks, Eddie
Software Engineering Student, NTU
QUOTE Thanks
csa9

csa9 is an unknown at this point

There actually is a offline version out, if you would consider jailbreaking your phone you can download this software. I'm not really sure what it's called right now, but I'm pretty sure I saw it in Installer (app you get after jailbreaking).

If my advise helped, please leave positive feedback
QUOTE Thanks
berrill

Dudeking, glad to hear that Google is spending millions here, the internet works great although its expensive however google maps says that I live on a rock on the mountain where the nearest road is 1 km away.
QUOTE Thanks
eddielee

eddielee is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" iM ac,13.3" Aluminium Unibody Macbook, iPhone 4

yeah that's all to do with the phone network around where you live i believe. I think it uses IP tracking and triangulation to find you location

Thanks, Eddie
Software Engineering Student, NTU
QUOTE Thanks
Noxian

Noxian is a jewel in the roughNoxian is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.2ghz, 3GB, 250GB - 16GB White iPhone 3G - 2nd Gen 1GB Shuffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudeking View Post
yeah that's all to do with the phone network around where you live i believe. I think it uses IP tracking and triangulation to find you location
Nah, if it is a iPhone 3G like he says it does have GPS however it still needs to communicate with google maps over the internet to show you were you are on the map.
QUOTE Thanks
berrill

exactly Noxian, it gets the perfect position but the roads are sometimes not there.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Check the AppStore for alternatives to Maps, or use one of the web-based services out there...

They won't have GPS functionality though...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« last.fm app updated | iphone banking section »