New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iOS and Apps All your questions and discussion of iOS or iOS Apps.

iPhone ringtones

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

cantona

cantona is on a distinguished road

Hello
I'm new to iPhone/Pods so bare with me...

I've just got an iPhone and would like to use one of my MP3 songs in the iPod as a ring tone. How can I do this?

There is a 'Ringtones' menu option in iTunes down the left, but I can't drag a song in there.
QUOTE Thanks
cantona

PS: I have a (Windows XP) PC, not a Mac (I know, I know...)
QUOTE Thanks
Corbri

Corbri will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro: 7200 RPM 250 HD, 2 gig Ram, 2.4 Gig processor... IPHONE 3g

It's actually pretty easy. I'll explain. You just have to make sure you follow the steps correctly.

What you do is you go into itunes. You select the the song you want to make a ringtone out of.

Right click that song and select get info.

When you get inside the window for get info you select options.

In the options you'll see a start and stop time. Play your song until you find about 20 seconds of song that you want to be a ringtone. Change the start and stop time under get info>options to reflect the beginning and ending time in the song you've selected.

Once you've completed that step you need to select ok right click your song again. This time select "Create AAC version" it will make you another file of that song but only the part you selected and it formats it differently.

You then right click that new version and select show in finder. It will show you the name of your song follow by a .m4n I believe. You need to rename the file to whatever the name is and .m4r it will make a pop up window that basically asks you if you really want to do that.

You'll of course select yes use .m4r

.m4r is the correct format for ringtones on itunes. Drag and drop that file to the itunes >ringtones section and you should be able to sync it to your iphone from there.

P.S. JUST READ you don't have a mac. Everything will be the same EXCEPT instead of selecting "show in finder" it's going to say "show or view in explorer"
QUOTE Thanks
B&O

B&O has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MBP i7, Mac Mini & iPhone 3G.

It doesn't work for me on OSx. It wouldn't transfer into the ringtone section.
QUOTE Thanks
cantona

thanks cobri

i followed your instructions and created my ringtone file. but i couldn't drag that file into the 'Ringtones' library in iTunes. It wouldn't let me drag anything in there!

So I plugged in my iPhone and then selected 'Ringtones' from the sync tab and chose the directory where the new rington was in - to sync with.

But I ran out of room and the sync couldnt complete.... so Im trying to delete some crud songs at the mo b4 i try again

will keep you posted
QUOTE Thanks
rogerinlondon

rogerinlondon will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacPro 2,66GHz 10GB RAM NV 8800GT Cinema 30" * MBP 15" Glossy 2.33 GHz 2 Duo 3GB RAM 160GB HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantona View Post
thanks cobri

i followed your instructions and created my ringtone file. but i couldn't drag that file into the 'Ringtones' library in iTunes. It wouldn't let me drag anything in there!

So I plugged in my iPhone and then selected 'Ringtones' from the sync tab and chose the directory where the new rington was in - to sync with.

But I ran out of room and the sync couldnt complete.... so Im trying to delete some crud songs at the mo b4 i try again

will keep you posted
How do you change the directory in the Ringtones sync tab?
QUOTE Thanks
rogerinlondon

Mac Specs: MacPro 2,66GHz 10GB RAM NV 8800GT Cinema 30" * MBP 15" Glossy 2.33 GHz 2 Duo 3GB RAM 160GB HD

iToner is the solution. Works perfectly.
QUOTE Thanks
adler

adler is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2.4 GHz, 160 GB at 7200rpms 4GB ram...iPhone 3G

The way corbri explains it is perfect. I've done it many times, you don't need a 3rd party app. Simply choose the part of the song you want, covert the song to AAC, drag the file out to ur desktop, rename the file to .m4r, delete the original song in itunes, and drag the desktop one back in. Done
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&O View Post
It doesn't work for me on OSx. It wouldn't transfer into the ringtone section.
That trick only seems to work on Windows. On a Mac, use Garage Band to convert it after trimming it to the 40 seconds (or less) that you want.

QUOTE Thanks
chiffonhead

chiffonhead is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 16GB iPhone, 17" iMac, 13" MacBook & 17" MacBook Pro

it's pretty easy. drag the song you want to Garageband and snip the 30-40 second clip you want and then "Send Ringtone to iTunes" - works like a charm!
QUOTE Thanks
BeanieRobert

BeanieRobert is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro

Yes, on a Mac GarageBand is really easy.

I'm A Mac. And I Work Better Then A PC.
QUOTE Thanks
rogerinlondon

I have never used Garageband. Which format should the file be in when you drag it in? When you open Garageband, it asks which project you want to create, what should I select?
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Guide here

hth
mrplow

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
B&O

B&O has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MBP i7, Mac Mini & iPhone 3G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanieRobert View Post
Yes, on a Mac GarageBand is really easy.
No way I am buying the version of garageband for ringtones. I think I have used it about twice when my sisters boyfriend came around for a quick play.
QUOTE Thanks
rogerinlondon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrplow View Post
Guide here

hth
mrplow
Thanks. Now I realise why I could not get it to work since it says you need Garageband 08.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Don't start looking for a jailbreak yet!! | Inviting people via email to calendar events »