New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iOS and Apps All your questions and discussion of iOS or iOS Apps.

Can I use the iPhone 3G's internet for my Macbook Pro?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Bear88SS

Bear88SS is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2.4ghz/2g/200hdd

So I'm trying to get 1st place for longest thread title in this subsection.... I travel alot and this would be killer if I can use it this way.... anyone know?

Thanks,
Bear
QUOTE Thanks
kmkl

kmkl is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: iMac 24" 2.4GHz 2GB RAM 320GB HD

Whats does
"So I'm trying to get 1st place for longest thread title in this subsection...."
have to do with it...?

Anyway, no you can't, the process is called tethering, and it can't be done with the iPhone.
QUOTE Thanks
INTELligent

INTELligent can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: Mac Mini

And that's one thing that HTC has over Apple... With the HTC Touch you can tether it...
QUOTE Thanks
marcoxyz

marcoxyz is on a distinguished road

Yes you can it is Easy for Jailbroken iPhones:

http://www.iphonemodem.de
QUOTE Thanks
gal_amy

gal_amy is an unknown at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcoxyz View Post
Yes you can it is Easy for Jailbroken iPhones:
iPhoneModem, Internet für Mac und iPhone

Sounds complicated.
QUOTE Thanks
shrice07

shrice07 is on a distinguished road

With AT&T the iPhone needs unlimited internet on the data plan. So why not make the phone convenient like many other data phones and make it able to tether to a PC or Mac. Phones have been able to do this for years now. It is very convenient to be able to have this capability. Now yes there is a way to do it, but Apple customer support told me that it will void what little warranty the phone has. I have one of the most advanced phones that isn't programmed to do something simple, standard and help me get more out of my wireless service. Thanks Apple
QUOTE Thanks
Eric559

Eric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: 2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrice07 View Post
With AT&T the iPhone needs unlimited internet on the data plan. So why not make the phone convenient like many other data phones and make it able to tether to a PC or Mac. Phones have been able to do this for years now. It is very convenient to be able to have this capability. Now yes there is a way to do it, but Apple customer support told me that it will void what little warranty the phone has. I have one of the most advanced phones that isn't programmed to do something simple, standard and help me get more out of my wireless service. Thanks Apple
AT&T doesn't allow tethering on the iPhone. So your bashing the wrong company.

Member Of The Month for December '08.
It's only the internet!
QUOTE Thanks
Doppler808

Doppler808 is on a distinguished road

Currently no there is not. under the grapevine its "supposed" to be a new feature for 3.0. ATT is also thinking about adding a new iPhone plan. Some say it'll be cheaper but i think if they allow tethering then that would be the unlimited + tethering ($60).
QUOTE Thanks
Calciumee

Calciumee is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13.3" Macbook 2GHz/iPod Classic Black 80GB/iPhone 4 32GB/iPad2 WiFi 16GB

I was reading Mac Monthly (or what ever one of the Mac magazines are called) and it had a 3.0 preview, and it said that you will be able to tether with 3.0.
QUOTE Thanks
DrEwTiMe42o

DrEwTiMe42o is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz core 2 duo, 200GB HD,Nvidia 256 DDR3 graphics, 6GB RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric559 View Post
AT&T doesn't allow tethering on the iPhone. So your bashing the wrong company.
AT&T does allow it for other smart phones. i don't understand what the difference is between doing it on the iphone and doing it on another smart phone..

To be honest i still carry my HTC around with me and just switch the sim card when i need to tether my mac
QUOTE Thanks
Eric559

Eric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: 2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEwTiMe42o View Post
AT&T does allow it for other smart phones. i don't understand what the difference is between doing it on the iphone and doing it on another smart phone..
Never said they didn't allow it for other smart phones. Not sure what the difference is either.

It is rumored to be a new feature eventually though.

Member Of The Month for December '08.
It's only the internet!
QUOTE Thanks
Doppler808

Doppler808 is on a distinguished road

smart phones to get tethering they have to pay $60. 30 for unlimited internet, and 30 for tethering. IF tethering comes to the iPhone i can the $60 tethering plan coming. ATTM said they were adding a "iPhone" data plan, and I willing to bet that is it, but rumorville hopes it will be a cheaper than $30 plan.
QUOTE Thanks
quentin123

quentin123 is on a distinguished road

you can do it if you have a jailbroken device but if you do , be carefull as providers don't like it at all and might charge you if they found out
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Transferring Videos to iPod | Itunes album cover? »