New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iOS and Apps All your questions and discussion of iOS or iOS Apps.

Apps on iPod Touch and iPhone

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Chris3d

Chris3d is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 15", 2GB RAM

Hi all,
I currently have an iPod touch, and am for the time being planning on purchasing the 2.0 firmware update when it comes out. However, I am also expecting to get a new 3G iPhone shortly after release. My question is this. If I get the 2.0 update on my iPod touch, and purchase an app from the app store, will those purchases be moved over or copied to the iPhone, or will it require that I pay for the app again? With that in mind, would anyone recommend holding off on the 2.0 update for the touch?

Thanks,
Chris
QUOTE Thanks
cuhnool

cuhnool is a jewel in the roughcuhnool is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3

to my knowledge, you can't.

ill do some research on it, the post back with my findings.

QUOTE Thanks
bargsbeer

bargsbeer is a jewel in the roughbargsbeer is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO

this may sound ignorant but why would you pay for 2.0 Firmware? It should be free.
QUOTE Thanks
cuhnool

Mac Specs: MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3

Yeah.. the only things I found were about hacking your iPhone and SSH.

@bargsbeer:

yeah, now that you mention it, it should be free

QUOTE Thanks
bargsbeer

bargsbeer is a jewel in the roughbargsbeer is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO

Apple has never charged me for a firmware update on my iPhone.
QUOTE Thanks
hugo14

hugo14 is on a distinguished road

The update on the iPhone is free, it will probably be about $20 (£10) on the iPod Touch - Apple said that the iPod touch users will have to pay for the update...
QUOTE Thanks
Lytheil

Lytheil is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Alu 13.3 Inch , 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 duo , 2.2gb 667 DDR2 SDRAM & Ipod Touch 16gb

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugo14 View Post
The update on the iPhone is free, it will probably be about $20 (10) on the iPod Touch - Apple said that the iPod touch users will have to pay for the update...

I personally feel that they should just give it for free. Me being an iTouch 16GB owner who bought it at 1800 ( 556USD ), which is ALMOST the same price as the iPhone 8GB which is RM2000+ ( 617USD ). I'm quite dissatisfied with needing to pay for the updates , need I mention the price RM120 ( 37USD ) for the iphone apps on the iTouch. I'm complaining quite alot. I know =p

But well.. It isnt fair for people like me who do not live in the US . Cause if I even buy it my self from the US, ( Adding shipping ) It'll be cheaper by a BIG number.

We dont have a apple store in malaysia. Machines Sdn Bhd is one of the only resellers in Malaysia ( excluding all the PC shops which who sell only a small number of Apple products )

QUOTE Thanks
cuhnool

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugo14 View Post
The update on the iPhone is free, it will probably be about $20 (10) on the iPod Touch - Apple said that the iPod touch users will have to pay for the update...
Yup. Here is an article about it:

http://gizmodo.com/364788/iphone-20-...o-pay-up-again

QUOTE Thanks
Chris3d

On another note, if I was to give this iPod to someone else...would they have a hard time keeping the software update's on the iPod?

I know that the last time I did a reset on this thing, it wiped my January Software Update (directly after a reinstall of OSX on my MBP), and I ended up having to send in a support request.
QUOTE Thanks
cuhnool

I don't think there should be a problem. I don't own an iTouch, so I'm not very familiar with it. Would it be possible to downgrade the software? If you can, then you could re-do everything.

QUOTE Thanks
Chris3d

I don't mind doing that. My main worry is the cost of the updates. I don't want to end up paying for them twice.
QUOTE Thanks
cuhnool

Yeah that's what I would be concerned with.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Sorting the music library in iTunes problem. | Out of Town on Monday and want the 2.0 Update - Dohh.. »