Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Specs:
    bottom-of-the-line MacBook
    Time Capsule as a NAS, not working out so well...
    Got my Time Capsule, set it all up and everything seems to be working. Last night I dumped all my movies (divx) on to the hard drive and attempted to stream them to my laptop wirelessly. Worked almost perfectly, but I get a stutter every 6-7 seconds, which completely defeats the purpose.

This doesn't happen on my HTPC mini where it's wired to the time capsule. My only explanation is that I'm running 802.11g instead of n because my wife's laptop is old. However I was under the impression that the bandwidth of a g network should be sufficient.

Any advice?

Specs:
    iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
    Get N. G sucks for video streaming.

Specs:
    2.2Ghz i7 Late 2011 MBP: 16GB Ram 500GB Seagate XT HD
    Yeah g is fine for audio streaming but depending on the quality of the video you will need 802.11n.

Are you running Leopard? I found that streaming video with Leopard is flawless. I had several issues with streaming video with Tiger.

Specs:
    Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
    goobimama is correct, video streaming isn't that great on 802.11g. All of my Macs have 802.11n and they all can stream video great.

June 2007
    July 2009

Specs:
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    Just asking here, don't know - can't the router in the Time Capsule be set up as a combo network running both 'g' and 'n' rather than only one or the other? My current router does this just fine.
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

The Airport Extreme Base Station (and thus Time Capsule) can do both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz communications, but not at the same time (since there is only one radio inside). Some more expensive dual-band routers have 2 radios, and can use both bands simultaneously. These other routers may not be as user-friendly as Apple, and may not be as compatible with the AirPort cards built into your Mac.

Quote Originally Posted by daveinpoway View Post
    The Airport Extreme Base Station (and thus Time Capsule) can do both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz communications, but not at the same time (since there is only one radio inside). Some more expensive dual-band routers have 2 radios, and can use both bands simultaneously. These other routers may not be as user-friendly as Apple, and may not be as compatible with the AirPort cards built into your Mac.
    Wow, I didnt know that. I have an older laptop that only does G and my new MBP that does N. So what you are saying is I wouldnt be able to take advantage of N...disappointing.

EDIT:

I guess I could hook my existing Netgear router to the Time Capsule so my older laptop can use G on it. Anyone try this out?

Actually, you should be able to use Airport Extreme Base Station and Time Capsule with your older laptop (G) and new MBP (N) using the 2.4Ghz (compatible with 802.11b/g/n). However, you will not be able to use the 5Ghz since this is only compatible with 802.11a/n.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by JusBL@zE View Post
    Actually, you should be able to use Airport Extreme Base Station and Time Capsule with your older laptop (G) and new MBP (N) using the 2.4Ghz (compatible with 802.11b/g/n). However, you will not be able to use the 5Ghz since this is only compatible with 802.11a/n.

Please correct me if I am wrong.
    Yes, but I want N speeds for my new MBP. Since it cant do both like b/g use to work (different spectrum), I may have to use (2) wireless routers.

Specs:
    Yes, you can use both the G and N devices on the Airport Extreme at the same time. The MBP will access the Time Capsule's hard drive at N speeds and the other computer will access it at G speeds. It's only when you are transferring files between the two computers will your MBP drop to G speeds.

June 2007
    July 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Kash View Post
    Yes, you can use both the G and N devices on the Airport Extreme at the same time. The MBP will access the Time Capsule's hard drive at N speeds and the other computer will access it at G speeds. It's only when you are transferring files between the two computers will your MBP drop to G speeds.
    So the Time Capsule has (2) radios transmitters or does it use the same one to transfer via g or n depending on what computer is being accessed?

Specs:
    You must have three antennas for a device to qualify as 802.11n certified, and the Airport Extreme has three internal antennas that give it MIMO functionality.

June 2007
    July 2009

I think applemonkey is getting confused with the different frequencies available. If you use 2.4 GHz, then you can use 802.11b/g/n all at the same time. However, if you use 5 GHz, then you can use 802.11a/n at the same time.

Specs:
    white MB 2.16GHz 3GB 320GB 10.6.1
    to the OP:
    Is your MacBook an Intel Core 2 Duo? If so you can download the 802.11n enabler software from Apple ($1.99) to upgrade. Now if the wife's laptop is a PowerPC, then . . . sorry.

Thread Information