New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

printer sharing question

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

camnewyork

camnewyork is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.8 quad core Mac Pro, 4GB ram

I am cruising right along with my introduction into the Mac world. Last night I was able to network my Mac to my XP machines.... Funny thing is, I spent 30 minutes trying to get the XP to see the Mac. In frustration I went to the Mac and noticed that it had already found both XP boxes.... XP still can't see the Mac but whatever....

So, I set up the printer sharing this morning (Printer on Mac) by using Bonjour. I noticed that it did not work when my Mac was sleeping but when I woke it up... all was fine. I was able to install the printer on the XP box and print.

My question is, how do I get around this sleeping Mac not waking up with printer job thing? Is this common or do I have a problem? If it is common, does anyone have a workaround for it? Is there a "nap" feature where maybe the computer does not get so disabled that it will not wake up?

Thanks

Carl

Mac Pro (2008) quad core 2.8, 4 GB ram, 20 inch WS Sceptre Naga monitor
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad Air, AppleTV2

You may need to enable File Sharing in the Network Preferences on you mac to let Windows 'see' it'

As for your printer/sleep issue. You need to trigger 'Wake-on-lan'. There's an interesting post on it here:
http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...50118192723153

Although it's an older post but it might get you started
QUOTE Thanks
camnewyork

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrplow View Post
You may need to enable File Sharing in the Network Preferences on you mac to let Windows 'see' it'

As for your printer/sleep issue. You need to trigger 'Wake-on-lan'. There's an interesting post on it here:
http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...50118192723153

Although it's an older post but it might get you started

The information on this site worked great... the wake-on-lan program wakes up the mac no problem.... I'm not sure about using IP address as I am pretty sure my address will change from time to time (dynamic allocation)..... but that should be a rare occasion.

Thanks for the link and the information

QUOTE Thanks
fred

fred is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: G4 Gigabit 400 Single. 40GB , 1.25GB RAM. OS 10.4.11 Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by camnewyork View Post
The information on this site worked great... the wake-on-lan program wakes up the mac no problem.... I'm not sure about using IP address as I am pretty sure my address will change from time to time (dynamic allocation)..... but that should be a rare occasion.

Thanks for the link and the information
If you are on a local network, i.e. you share the internet with multiple computers via a router/switch., you should always have the same IP on all computers.
DHCP (dynamic) means the router automatically assigns the "internal" network IP's to all connected computers, and routes the info. accordingly.
The internet IP should have no bearing on your LAN addresses.
Unless you change the port on the router the computer is connected to, or change routers, the IP should always stay the same.

My Newbness Rules Me.
QUOTE Thanks
camnewyork

Thats good to know.... You would think 20 years as a developer I would understand this stuff... but networking is like a foreign language to me.

I just had a lesson from the IP guy and I think I still have an issue but I described it wrong.

SInce I am behind a modem from TW and then I have a router, I don't care what TW does with my external IP address....
but...
There is no guarantee that my internal IP address will stay the same. I have to reboot the router from time to time... also ice storms or whatever could cut power. When the router comes back up it conceivably could give my Mac a different internal IP..... Now he did say I could do a "reservation" in the router that says, always give MAC address XXX IP YYY.....

Does this sound like I am getting closer to understanding the workings for a home network?

I don't imagine I will see this issue very much, probably only when I lose power and get unlucky on re-allocation of IPs....

Carl

QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Quote:
Originally Posted by camnewyork View Post
Thats good to know.... You would think 20 years as a developer I would understand this stuff... but networking is like a foreign language to me.

I just had a lesson from the IP guy and I think I still have an issue but I described it wrong.

SInce I am behind a modem from TW and then I have a router, I don't care what TW does with my external IP address....
but...
There is no guarantee that my internal IP address will stay the same. I have to reboot the router from time to time... also ice storms or whatever could cut power. When the router comes back up it conceivably could give my Mac a different internal IP..... Now he did say I could do a "reservation" in the router that says, always give MAC address XXX IP YYY.....

Does this sound like I am getting closer to understanding the workings for a home network?

I don't imagine I will see this issue very much, probably only when I lose power and get unlucky on re-allocation of IPs....

Carl
Glad that stuff worked for you.

If your router is able to 'reserve' IP addresses for particular MAC addresses then yes that's the way to go. Not all routers have the functionality but many do. Certainly worth a look.

mrplow
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Print Server Setup | SSH with Apple Airport Extreme Base Station »