New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Time Capsule Question

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ScaredXStraight

ScaredXStraight is on a distinguished road

I was wondering if you had to connect the time capsule to your router for it to work wirelessly. Basically i am wondering if I can have a time capsule plugged into the wall in my room, and use it as an external harddrive without connecting it to anything else. thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Time Capsule IS a wireless router. I'm thinking you need to use it as such to use the NAS function.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

The Time Capsule is a router.

It would basically take the place of your existing router and have a hard drive in it.

Would think you could also set it up as a 2nd local area network without connecting it to your ISP. In this case, you would still use the network set up on router 'a' to connect to the internet (along with anything else you have on that network) and would have to change the airport connection on your Mac to the Time Machine network to access TM's hard drive. During which time you would have no access to anything on network 'a'.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
ScaredXStraight

Oh okay, thanks. so is this the only wireless hard drive there is out there? cause i dont really want to use it as a router.
QUOTE Thanks
lancer674

lancer674 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

There are wireless harddrives out there. Depending on what you want to spend depends on the features. I don't know what your set up is, but if you have the AirPort Extreme Base Station, you can just attach a cheap external harddrive to it and your problem is solved. The angle for the Time Capsule (I have one) is that it's simple plug and play with regards to Time Machine along with a AirPort Extreme Base Station. So, if I do the math, I get 500 GB of storage for around $130, not bad. Through the complications of wanting wireless storage and a network printer, then using AirPort Extreme Base Station creates that problem because it has only one USB port, so I have to pick which one I really want on the network.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

What you could do to save money is buy a NAS. It's essentially an external hard drive with an Ethernet port. You plug that into your existing router and you've got a network drive similar to the AirDisk.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
ScaredXStraight

Well the thing is, I already have a router (with no usb port) and I don't really need a new router i just thought it was convenient that it was wireless, i thought it might use infrared or something to that effect.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Return Airport Extreme? | Windows wont recognize files »