New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

MacBook Pro - Can't Connect to Internet

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MykOne

MykOne is on a distinguished road

I'm new to the Mac World.
I got a Macbook Pro and I'm having issues with internet connection.

I have set up the networks at pretty much all the locations I visit frequently. My Macbook shows the Networks under the Airport Icon. I have all the passwords saved on these networks as to automatically connect.

My problem is that why is it that at times I can not connect. Sometimes I can and sometimes I can't. When I can't, I would have to shut down and re-boot and that works sometimes. Other times it doesn't and I just wait to try it again later.

For instance... this happens at my home. I know it's not the internet connection because I have my other computer connected via ethernet and it works. I also have my xp laptop and it works wireless. It's just this Macbook Pro.

Any Suggestions?????
QUOTE Thanks
Blade753

Blade753 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: iBook G3, 500MHz, CD-ROM, 12"

I have had a problem similar to this with my iPod touch, where if yells at me and says i cant connect....Are you sure you have a strong signal? That's the only solution I can think of.
QUOTE Thanks
MykOne

MykOne is on a distinguished road

My signal has full bars. I know that's not an issue.

What I noticed is that when I went to Network Settings... I saw that the AirPort light was green and said "Self-Assigned IP" underneath it.

Then on the "Status" it said it was "On" and underneath that, it said this:
"AirPort has a self-assigned IP address and may not be able to connect to the internet."

I'm not sure how or why this happens.

Can anyone explain and give me a fix for this?
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by MykOne View Post
My signal has full bars. I know that's not an issue.

What I noticed is that when I went to Network Settings... I saw that the AirPort light was green and said "Self-Assigned IP" underneath it.

Then on the "Status" it said it was "On" and underneath that, it said this:
"AirPort has a self-assigned IP address and may not be able to connect to the internet."

I'm not sure how or why this happens.

Can anyone explain and give me a fix for this?
Search: Key Word(s): self-assigned, address

Need help Setting up internet, not WiFi

Airport Problem (Self-Assigned IP Address)

just can't connect to the internet...

Won't connect to single wireless connection

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
Fatboydim

Fatboydim is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro

Try dhcp release or renew on your router
QUOTE Thanks
pallaksch

pallaksch is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I had this same problem and after much discussion with Apple support, we reset my Airport and, instead of "Bridge" mode, tell it to share a public IP address. This is because my ethernet connection comes directly from the wall and is provided by my apartment management (i.e. I don't have my own modem). So, I don't know if this is the situation for the original poster, and his post was a while ago anyway, but in case someone else lands here like I did, here's what we did to fix my problem:

First, to check whether you're in Bridge mode:

-Go to Airport Utility.
-Go to Manual Setup.
-Go to the Internet symbol at the top.
-Under "Connection Sharing," you should have "Share a public IP address" (not "Off (Bridge Mode)").

If you are in Bridge Mode, then you have to reset your airport (the little button next to the audio port), go through the whole setup shebang again, and be sure NOT to select "Bridge Mode", but rather, select "Share Public IP Address."

Hope this helps someone.
QUOTE Thanks
eternaltool

eternaltool is on a distinguished road

I have the same problem but i cannot even enter manual setup because it cannot even find any airport wireless devices. My internet is working because my mini mac is connecting. My macbook pro connects to the wireless but after a short while it turns to an exclamation mark and says there is no connection.

Any tips would be great! I really need the internet on my laptop right now for work.
QUOTE Thanks
tambalpanci

tambalpanci is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternaltool View Post
I have the same problem but i cannot even enter manual setup because it cannot even find any airport wireless devices. My internet is working because my mini mac is connecting. My macbook pro connects to the wireless but after a short while it turns to an exclamation mark and says there is no connection.

Any tips would be great! I really need the internet on my laptop right now for work.
have you updated your airport via software update ?
if you did , then the problem is still appear
try to go to system pref > network > delete airport > close system pref > restart your mac > open system pref > network > add new airport ..
QUOTE Thanks
eternaltool

I can't update the airport because i cant connect to the internet! how would i do this. I have doe what you said anyway and now it says that my AirPort has a "self assigned IP" and will not be able to connect to the internet.

any suggestions. thanks for the help.
QUOTE Thanks
tambalpanci

tambalpanci is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I can't update the airport because i cant connect to the internet! how would i do this. I have doe what you said anyway and now it says that my AirPort has a "self assigned IP" and will not be able to connect to the internet.

any suggestions. thanks for the help.
if you use your own wifi router not public router, try to reset the router, after that try to connect your mac again ..
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Have you tried connecting via ethernet cable to your Airport then check for IPv4 config DHCP
this will give it an ip then you should be able to get on depending on the modem you may
have to disconnect the wan for 15 to 20 seconds then plug back in.
QUOTE Thanks
eternaltool

Quote:
Originally Posted by osxx View Post
Have you tried connecting via ethernet cable to your Airport then check for IPv4 config DHCP
this will give it an ip then you should be able to get on depending on the modem you may
have to disconnect the wan for 15 to 20 seconds then plug back in.
thanks for replying, but how do i do this exactly? Check for ipv4 config DHCP?
QUOTE Thanks
eternaltool

Thanks so much Osxx i worked it out from what you said. You are a star!
QUOTE Thanks
eternaltool

oh NO sorry it hasnt worked. i put in the address i get from ethernet cable and it DOES say connected on the Airport, but it still does not connect when i open the browser even though its not working offline. confused.
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Quote:
thanks for replying, but how do i do this exactly? Check for ipv4 config DHCP?
It will be in your Airport Utility and in system preferences under TCP/IP
Go to system pref >network>advanced>TCP/IP > connect (DHCP) might have
to hit renew ip.
Airport Utility >Manual setup >internet>TCP/IP >config IPv4 using DHCP also may have to click on renew DHCP lease. Sometimes after this you may have to reboot the AE.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Why do I have 2 different IP adresses? | Wifi Tethering »