New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

About to cry.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Cpt. Morgan

Cpt. Morgan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20", 2.4ghz iMac/4 gigs of ram + a 2.1ghz MacBook/160gb 7200 rpm Seagate HD/1 gig of ram

In the last week I bought two wireless routers. A Linksys that could nor provide signal 5 feet away and a D-link that is a lot better but still not my... preference.

With the D-link it is set up, I have gone through many different settings but still can not get connection over 40%, 2 stories below me. I'm trying to use my PS3 there but its connection is trash.

I'm wondering, would a Airport base station solve this?

Thanks for your time.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad Air, AppleTV2

The strength of wireless signals is a difficult one. There are so many factors that can influence them.

40% signal 2 storeys away doesn't seem unreasonable to me but you could try switching channels or buying an external antenna. Maybe experiment with another location in the room and the orientation of the antenna.

Can't really comment on the Airport base station but I can't imagine it will be that much of an improvement over the routers you've already tried. Others with 'hands-on' airport experience may be able to advise differently.

However, if you location isn't particularly wi-fi friendly you could try Network-over-power adapters. I use these for a wi-fi blackspot in my house and they have always proved to be very reliable.

HTH
mrplow
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

All articles/reviews I have read about setting up routers in multi-story dwellings recommend putting the router on the top floor for best reception and signal strength throughout the house. Your issue is typical when setting it up on the bottom floor.

mrplow makes some good suggestions.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
rsmithgi

rsmithgi will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt. Morgan View Post
In the last week I bought two wireless routers. A Linksys that could nor provide signal 5 feet away and a D-link that is a lot better but still not my... preference.

With the D-link it is set up, I have gone through many different settings but still can not get connection over 40%, 2 stories below me. I'm trying to use my PS3 there but its connection is trash.

I'm wondering, would a Airport base station solve this?

Thanks for your time.
I had problems with signal range in my house and I solved the problems by adding two range extenders. I use the Belkin range extender. I have switched to a Belkin router as well to simplify the setup of WEP encryption. They work great. I have a very strong signal everywhere in my house, including the basement.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« airport + ethernet usage same time | Proxies: Skype and MSN »