New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

iBook G3 w/AirPort can't connect to existing AirPort Extreme network

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Grippy

Grippy is on a distinguished road

Hey, all. I just acquired an iBook G3 (128MB RAM/500Mhz/OSX 10.2.8) from my sister in law and I'm trying to get it to use my existing AirPort Extreme network (which I use with my iBook G4). The G3 has an older (802.11b) AirPort card, but my base station is setup for b/g accessiblity. The network shows up in the AirPort menu; the problem is that when I try to connect with the base and it asks for a password, I get "There was an error joining the selected AirPort network."

If I try to hook up using AirPort Setup Assistant, I get an "incorrect password" error.

Any help at all would be great. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
Grippy

Nothing? Awesome.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

How do you have the Airport Extreme set up? What kind of Password? Are you using WEP, WPA? Makes a difference. If you are running WPA encryption, the older OS and Airport cards will only work with WEP. That might be the issue.
QUOTE Thanks
Grippy

Well, they took it away from me before I could get it sorted. I had only enough time to drop in the extra RAM. Thanks for the help, though. I'll refer back if/when the iBook returns to my place.
QUOTE Thanks
Huxy

Huxy is on a distinguished road

OK I believe I am having the same issue, have you got your airport card joining the wireless net yet? I had both of these error messages and what I need to know is how do I tell what kind of incryption the router has on it ? I.e wep/wpa etc? Gut tells me it's wep encryption in which case I don't know what I need to do to get my ibook g3 10.2.8 to onto the wireless net

Please help!
QUOTE Thanks
ezola

ezola is on a distinguished road

the airport extreme security can be set to WPA2 or WPA/WPA2. The former is active by default; using the airport utility change this setting to the latter and the G3 iBook will work with your network.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Snow Leopard and WPA2 | How will i get the internet working on my macbook pro? »