New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Networking a eMac and a WinXP laptop...possible?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Army_F_Body

I am using my eMac as the wireless base to network with my WinXP laptop with a wif adapter.

I can access my DSL through the eMac and my router tells me I am broadcasting (forgive me this is my first attempt to do this kind of thing) so I can only assume the base is correctly configured.

The fun comes from the WinXP side. I am able to get the wifi adapter to accept the signal from the router and link up, however at this point neither computer can access the internet.

I find myself wadding through a sea of incomprehindable Windows menu and options. Why can't Windows be as user friendly as Mac :rolleyes: When I give up in disgust and rebot my mac I notice I cannot get the internet back. I have to shut down my eMac and unplug my DSL modem and router for a couple minutes, then reboot everything.

My goal is to be able to access the net from both computers. Is this possible with my setup?

Thanks,

Rob
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

Maybe this will help
QUOTE Thanks
Army_F_Body

Thanks, Whiteshark.

What I'm trying to to is use the DSL connection on my Mac with my XP laptop wirelessly.

Been banging my head against a wall for the last hour of two and have come to one conclusion...Windows XP is no different from 95,98, or ME. Same structure, still unproductive. This only confirms the reason why I got a Mac. Real big leap forward Gates. Instead of leaps forward, I think he's just making big leaps to the side.

I think the whole issue is because of Mac communicating with Windows.
QUOTE Thanks
IanCT

IanCT will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_F_Body
What I'm trying to to is use the DSL connection on my Mac with my XP laptop wirelessly.
I did what you speak of with my XP laptop, and PowerBook laptop. While at my dad's house, I plugged into his network (no wireless there) with my PB, and Created a wireless network. Give it a WEP key, 5 character for 40 bit, 13 chars for 128-bit (ASCII, not HEX). On the XP notebook I was able to see the wireless network, in the Advanced Wireless Options, you plug in the ASCII key you punch in on the Mac, and you have to click on the Shared Key checkbox, otherwise it will only have a link, but no data will go across. You'll see several sent packets, but no receive in the status window.

Hope this helps.

-Ian
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Can't connect to specified Airport network until powercycle of Base Station | Taking control of my PC »