New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Macbook causing router/internet problems with other laptops

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

soulz

soulz is on a distinguished road

I'm new to mac and the forums , so hi everyone.
I recently was given a new macbook 2.2ghz, 160gb white with Leopard loaded on it, I think it's OSX 10.5.1 or something and everything works pretty good, it's quick to load and shutdown no lag but i have one problem and the problem is that when i'm on the internet with my macbook, it will always cause the network to drop out whilst another laptop (Compaq, ibm laptops that my family has) is using the wireless internet.

But the non mac laptops when running together have no problems. It is only when my macbook is turned on and i go on the internet that it drops out, sometimes it comes back (but it's really slow) or it never comes back again.
I have a netgear WGT624 router.
My router can sometimes drop out on its own, but this happens all the time when my macbook is turned on with other laptops, but it also doesn't seem to happen very often when the macbook is on just by itself.

Can anyone advise me?
Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Kalison

Kalison will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 27" iMac

I say... as long as yours is okay... its everyone else who has the problem
QUOTE Thanks
Mathiau

Mathiau is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MacBook Black 2ghz / 2g / 160g72k | Ipod nano black 4G

lol

is everyone using the same standard? A/B/G ? or people using diff ones?

have you looked for new firmware for your router?

what about encryption? is anyone else using any P2P software while this happens, P2P tends to kill alot of routers due to the many many connections made at once.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I have that same Netgear WGT624 that I use as a WAP. Never had any issues with it and sometimes I have 2-4 Macs and 2 Windows Laptops (IBM and Compaq) all on at the same time and they all work great. When the Windows machines drop out does anything pop up saying that their IP address was taken by another system? Just curious as I have seen that with some routers on networks I have worked with.
QUOTE Thanks
soulz

soulz is on a distinguished road

When i go on the internet too, it seems to effect everyone on the laptops.
We use wpa i think.
I think i'll see if i can find new firmware, thanks.
But about p2p software, it seems to occur sometimes a few minutes after myy macbook is turned on and onto the internet whilst the other laptop has been on just browsing web pages.
I may think it might be the routers problem now but is there a way to check if it is the router thats causing problems?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How to make an external HD a shared drive | Best broadband provider »