New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Apartment wireless issue.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rkrueger1980

rkrueger1980 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" Imac

Ok I have two questions actually.

1- I have a 24" Imac and we just got cable internet in our apartment. My gf has a 1.5 year old toshiba laptop and we were both "borrowing" wireless successfully. Now that I am plugged into the internet I want to get her onto my signal....how?

2-I can't figure out how to set my signal to wireless, but with security, like a password. Do I need to get a wireless router?

Thanks.
Rob.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

In order to have more than one machine share a single Internet connection, you will need a router of some sort. I would suggest getting a wireless router since you guys are used to getting wireless Internet.

Check out models by Linksys, D-Link, Belkin, and Apple.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
rkrueger1980

rkrueger1980 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" Imac

Thanks for the input.
QUOTE Thanks
heftylefty

heftylefty is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MB, iphone

i just got the linksys WRT54G wireless router today for my apartment. too about 30 mins to set up and works great. the setup disc they give you makes installation a breeze and youre easily able to change your wireless settings. i would recommend it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Airport extreme giga dropping ADSL signal | Airport Extreme and Port Forwarding »