New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Connecting to PC share on Leopard

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

sleepyhollow

sleepyhollow is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 2.4GHZ; iMac

I have leopard 10.5.1 on my iBook G4. I connect to my network wirelessly. The network is done with a router (Netgear) which connects to the main PC desktop. On the PC i can connect to my laptop (\\192.168.0.x\myname) and thats all fine and dandy. But in leopard, in the shared dropdown menu, in the sidebar of finder, the pc's name is there, but when i click on it, all it says is "connection failed". I then click "Connect As..." but nothing happens.

I have tried "Connect to server ..." using "smb://192.168.0.x" and that doesn't work. It comes up with a message saying "The text entered does not appear to be a recognized URL format. URLs should begin with afp://, aat://, file://, ftp://, http://, https://, nfs://, smb://, cifs://, or vnc://."

I DON'T GET IT - PLEASE HELP
QUOTE Thanks
giulio

giulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iPod Touch | iPod Nano

Try using the PC's administrator user/pass instead of a regular user account.
What's the PC's OS?

schweb This has to be one of the best threads ever in MF history...
Cherokee This gets my vote for most innovative thread on Mac-Forums... ever.
QUOTE Thanks
sleepyhollow

Quote:
Originally Posted by giulio View Post
Try using the PC's administrator user/pass instead of a regular user account.
What's the PC's OS?
Try using the password where?

Umm... it is XP, Home Edition, Version 2002, SP 2
QUOTE Thanks
giulio

giulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iPod Touch | iPod Nano

Try using the address as:
protocol://USERNAME:PASSWORD@SERVERIP

Example....
Attached Images
File Type: png Picture 1.png (50.9 KB, 163 views)

schweb This has to be one of the best threads ever in MF history...
Cherokee This gets my vote for most innovative thread on Mac-Forums... ever.
QUOTE Thanks
sleepyhollow

Yeah i tried that but it still came up saying

The text entered does not appear to be a recognized URL format. URLs should begin with afp://, aat://, file://, ftp://, http://, https://, nfs://, smb://, cifs://, or vnc://
QUOTE Thanks
Idlewild

Idlewild is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro

I am having the same issue on my brand new MacBook Pro. Out of the box, it connected to my Windows server but then I did the following:

1. Updated to OS X 10.5.1

2. Ran the Migration utility to pull over user accounts and applications from my old Powerbook G4 (OS X 10.2).

Step 2 was a disaster. Although data transferred via Firewire, when I rebooted the Powerbook, I received a Kernel Panic. In short, the system was beyond recovery and I had to erase the hard drive and reinstall the operating system. When I shifted my attention back to the MacBook Pro, that's when I noticed the problem of of not being able to connect to my Windows server. No matter what I entered into the address box, I received the message: "The text entered does not appear to be a recognized URL format". When I click on the browse button, I can see the share but when I try to connect, I get "Connection Failed".

Did the update or migration cause the problem? Who knows...but it's a clue that may be helpful to someone. I will report back with any new information I find.
QUOTE Thanks
genghis

genghis is on a distinguished road

I am having the exact same problem. I can't connect from my iMac to my PC. Have tried a myriad of solutions that have been posted to the web and nothing works. Has anyone found a solution to this yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyhollow View Post
I have leopard 10.5.1 on my iBook G4. I connect to my network wirelessly. The network is done with a router (Netgear) which connects to the main PC desktop. On the PC i can connect to my laptop (\\192.168.0.x\myname) and thats all fine and dandy. But in leopard, in the shared dropdown menu, in the sidebar of finder, the pc's name is there, but when i click on it, all it says is "connection failed". I then click "Connect As..." but nothing happens.

I have tried "Connect to server ..." using "smb://192.168.0.x" and that doesn't work. It comes up with a message saying "The text entered does not appear to be a recognized URL format. URLs should begin with afp://, aat://, file://, ftp://, http://, https://, nfs://, smb://, cifs://, or vnc://."

I DON'T GET IT - PLEASE HELP
QUOTE Thanks
unibrow66

unibrow66 is on a distinguished road

I had a similar problem after my new macbook refused to connect to an older macbook (both running leopard). I could see the computer on the shared list but it would always say "connection failed" and nothing would happen when clicking on connect as.

I spoke to apple and they couldn't fix it but suggested I tried reinstalling leopard and that seems to have worked.

If you boot from the install CDs supplied with the computer (by restarting and holding C) then when you choose the disk to install on to, click on the HD then select 'options' and then select 'archive and install'. This should keep all the old settings and files etc.

The operating system reinstalled and it now the network works fine and all the files are there. However, I seem to have lost a chunk of my hard disk space somewhere, may have been caused by reinstalling leopard.

Hope this helps
QUOTE Thanks
unibrow66

unibrow66 is on a distinguished road

You can get back the hard disk space lost by deleting the 'previous system' folder found in the hard drive after the reinstall

Oh yea and the problem started after using the migration from an old ibook.
QUOTE Thanks
Mathiau

Mathiau is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MacBook Black 2ghz / 2g / 160g72k | Ipod nano black 4G

i am having this problem now under leopard, under tiger i would go / connect to folder or finder / network click the cmputer and get prompted for a user/pass

Leopard doesnt do this and just says "connection failed" , and i recall having an option of trying to login with diff info, but now i cant find that option either.

is this a wide bug with leopard and network shares... cause it is REALLY annoying.

using afp://administrator:password@10.0.0.11
i get

Connection Failed

the server may not exist or it is not operational at this time. Check the server name or IP address and your network connection and try again

Yes, it doesnt exist, why i am sitting right beside it, looking at it, streaming music and moving files around on it, yes Apple, it doesnt exist and my settings are wrong.......

ARGH!
QUOTE Thanks
tmmullin

tmmullin is on a distinguished road

The problem is your router. Netgear routers do not allow file sharing!
QUOTE Thanks
jtbjr

jtbjr is on a distinguished road

you need to change a setting in mac system preferences or windows control panel. if you select you server on you windows machine, say sharing then allow users to read and write.

then, check the settings in the mac system pref. and choose file sharing
QUOTE Thanks
Mathiau

LOL its the router..lol if only it was that easy

all my windows system have read /write permissions on the shares and work fine under Tiger and other windows OS, it is only leopard that doesnt work.
QUOTE Thanks
jsc7911

jsc7911 is on a distinguished road

NO, DO NOT CHANGE ROUTER. I have that same problem with 20" aluminum imac through wired ethernet connection. It goes to a Linksys router and all the other pc's are wired off of that too. It gives me the same problem. I have tried to change the router and it still does the same thing. I read somewhere that you have to enable guest mode on the pc but i don't know exactly how you do that
QUOTE Thanks
Mathiau

on the PC, go to control panel / users f under XP and should be a guest account option there

but for me i am not about to turn on a guest account with no password on severs at work just so leopard can connect cause it doesnt work right.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Apple AirPort Extreme and Bluetooth Combo Card | Stream MacBook to PS3 »