New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

lost in internet woes! please help.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

immski

immski is on a distinguished road

Ever since I purchased my macbook just over a year ago, I have had no problems until now. I recently was online watching some streaming video when the connection suddenly dropped and I could not reconnect to my Verizon DSL. Through some troubleshooting, the person at Verizon said the problem was my PCI Card. Does this make sense? If so, how do I fix this problem? The person at Verizon said I would need to reinstall drivers for the PCI card. I have looked for these. They are no where to be found for me : ( the trouble is my macbook will not communicate with the modem (so she said). BTW I am connecting Directly to the modem supplied by verizon. Also, my XBOX360 seems to be communicating with the modem fine. IDK what to do. Please help.
QUOTE Thanks
immski

P.S. I am on my Mac book right now and My wireless works. It seems to only be the direct line internet.
QUOTE Thanks
nirvana

nirvana has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook, iPhone 3GS, iPod Touch, Apple TV

I'm not sure what they mean about it being a problem with your PCI card since the Macbook doesn't have a PCI slot. What's the model number/name of yout modem?

Crack that whip…..liquorish whip.
QUOTE Thanks
immski

something 6100. I have used it fine in the past. so idk what the problem is..... it has to be the ethernet port or something. where can I get new drivers for that?
QUOTE Thanks
nirvana

Check the Verizon site. So does your internet work when connected using airport?

QUOTE Thanks
immski

yes. it is working right now.
QUOTE Thanks
nirvana

Is there any reason why you need to be plugged in to your modem if airport works? What connection is the modem to your Macbook the operator mentioned that you need to reinstall PCI drivers but the Macbook doesn't have a PCI slot.

QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

From your description - the cable/connection needs to be ruled out before anything else.
If the Verizon tech didn't have you do the following steps, check them out.

First, don't just check the connection, unplug the cable at both the router and your Mac and plug it back in making sure it is snug.

Next try a different cable that you know is working with another device.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
immski

I know that the problem is in fact not the cable and is not the internet connection because the connection works for my Xbox 360. WHat would be my next step knowing that the problem does lie with my macbook? specifically my ethernet port.

*edit* My modem is a Westell model 6100.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Built-in Ethernet.. can it go bad? | Wireless question concerning email »