New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Just switched dsl provider. Now Wireless Doesnt Work


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
MacNewbie

 
Member Since: Dec 06, 2006
Posts: 409
MacNewbie is an unknown at this point

MacNewbie is offline
Hey guys,

so over the past 2 weeks i cancelled a previous dsl subscription and i am now with AT&T

my activation date was today and i wasnt able to connect to the net with my new modem... after chatting with tech suppport they made me login to the modems IP address to configure an email setting which somehow solved my issue

i can browse the net perfectly when my macbook is directly connected to the modem with the ethernet cable but when i try to connect the ethernet cable to my linksys wireless router (which worked perfectly fine with the last modem ..) i cant seem to browse the net

is there some kind of IP config that i have to do? i successfully logged on to the linksys wireless router's ip address and i can also see that connection is at full capacity in the airport connection icon on the top of my window...but when i try to surf the net using the wireless conneciton it kind of just stands still and the page doesnt load


can anyone give me some help pls? thakns
QUOTE Thanks
MacNewbie

 
Member Since: Dec 06, 2006
Posts: 409
MacNewbie is an unknown at this point

MacNewbie is offline
anyone please??
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

 
dtravis7's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 04, 2005
Location: Modesto, Ca.
Posts: 27,586
dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

dtravis7 is offline
Ok what brand and model is the new modem? Also need info on Router. I think I know what is going on but need that info to help you.


Some modems AT&T (SBC) ships have a one IP address router built in and will not work unless you change a setting. Just dealt with one of them a month ago.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

 
cwa107's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 20, 2006
Location: Middletown, Pennsylvania
Posts: 26,493
cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

cwa107 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
Ok what brand and model is the new modem? Also need info on Router. I think I know what is going on but need that info to help you.


Some modems AT&T (SBC) ships have a one IP address router built in and will not work unless you change a setting. Just dealt with one of them a month ago.
Agreed with dtravis.

An even simpler thing to try would be to make sure that you have powered off the router and powered it back on and wait for 30 seconds after you attach the modem to it.

More often when this type of situation occurs, it's because the modem has a router that is using the same default IP address as your router (usually 192.168.1.1 or .100). Sometimes you just need to change the IP range and assign the router something in a different subnet. I like to use 192.168.0.1.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
MacNewbie

 
Member Since: Dec 06, 2006
Posts: 409
MacNewbie is an unknown at this point

MacNewbie is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
Ok what brand and model is the new modem? Also need info on Router. I think I know what is going on but need that info to help you.


Some modems AT&T (SBC) ships have a one IP address router built in and will not work unless you change a setting. Just dealt with one of them a month ago.


the router im using is linksys wrt54g

and also the model of the new modem is a motorola mstatea its a very small silver dsl modem

thank u so much!!
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

 
cwa107's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 20, 2006
Location: Middletown, Pennsylvania
Posts: 26,493
cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

cwa107 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNewbie View Post
the router im using is linksys wrt54g

and also the model of the new modem is a motorola mstatea its a very small silver dsl modem

thank u so much!!
Try this:

- Start with the computer turned off
- Unplug the power to the DSL modem and the router
- Plug the DSL modem in and wait 30 seconds
- Plug the router in and wait 30 seconds
- Start the computer and attempt to connect. If this works, great, if not...

- Open a web browser
- Type the address of the router into the address bar. I believe it should be 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.100. Try both, when you get prompted for a username and password, you know you have the right one. The username should either be blank or admin. You should have set the password when you initially configured the router. If you don't remember it, we'll need to do a cold reset on the router.
- Once you get into the configuration page, you'll see a field for "Local IP Address". If it's 192.168.1.1, change it to 192.168.0.1. If it's 192.168.1.100, change it to 192.168.1.10.
- Click "Save Settings" and close your browser. You should be able to get to the Internet now.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
MacNewbie

 
Member Since: Dec 06, 2006
Posts: 409
MacNewbie is an unknown at this point

MacNewbie is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
Try this:

- Start with the computer turned off
- Unplug the power to the DSL modem and the router
- Plug the DSL modem in and wait 30 seconds
- Plug the router in and wait 30 seconds
- Start the computer and attempt to connect. If this works, great, if not...

- Open a web browser
- Type the address of the router into the address bar. I believe it should be 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.100. Try both, when you get prompted for a username and password, you know you have the right one. The username should either be blank or admin. You should have set the password when you initially configured the router. If you don't remember it, we'll need to do a cold reset on the router.
- Once you get into the configuration page, you'll see a field for "Local IP Address". If it's 192.168.1.1, change it to 192.168.0.1. If it's 192.168.1.100, change it to 192.168.1.10.
- Click "Save Settings" and close your browser. You should be able to get to the Internet now.


ok i changed it from 192.168.1.1. to 192.168.01.1 and the settings were saved and it said renew/reset ip or whatever ..it cut me of from the connection (as indicated in my airport icon) and then i manually connected again using my password and all 4 bars of the airport became bold showing that i was connected

however i still cant browse the net using the method u listed above? is there anything else i need to change in my setup? above the local ip adress it says that im under "automatic config DHCP"
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

 
cwa107's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 20, 2006
Location: Middletown, Pennsylvania
Posts: 26,493
cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

cwa107 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNewbie View Post
ok i changed it from 192.168.1.1. to 192.168.01.1 and the settings were saved and it said renew/reset ip or whatever ..it cut me of from the connection (as indicated in my airport icon) and then i manually connected again using my password and all 4 bars of the airport became bold showing that i was connected

however i still cant browse the net using the method u listed above? is there anything else i need to change in my setup? above the local ip adress it says that im under "automatic config DHCP"
Did you really use 192.168.01.1 or 192.168.0.1?

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
MacNewbie

 
Member Since: Dec 06, 2006
Posts: 409
MacNewbie is an unknown at this point

MacNewbie is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
Did you really use 192.168.01.1 or 192.168.0.1?

sorry that was a typo i used 192.168.0.1
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

 
cwa107's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 20, 2006
Location: Middletown, Pennsylvania
Posts: 26,493
cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

cwa107 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNewbie View Post
sorry that was a typo i used 192.168.0.1
I wish I would have heard from you last evening, when I was home in front of my WRT54G

It sounds like you changed the correct setting. And yes, unless your ISP uses static IP, it should be set as DHCP/automatic configuration. If they did use static IP, they would have supplied you with a set of parameters to use to configure your PC.

If you haven't already done so, shutdown the Mac. Power cycle the modem first and then power cycle the router. Then, boot up the Mac and see what happens. If that doesn't work, I'll have to take a look at my WRT54G this evening to give you some more instruction.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

 
dtravis7's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 04, 2005
Location: Modesto, Ca.
Posts: 27,586
dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

dtravis7 is offline
I just talked to a very smart DSL tech that came here to fix my DSL. Smart and cute also! Female.

Anyway, sorry I did not get back to you sooner as I was without internet except dialup for 2 days now.

I confirmed with her that that Motorola Modem you have there does have a simple router. You change it to bridged mode in the config and let your Linksys handle the connect to PPPoE. I have had to do that with the 5100 and 5100B Speedstreams I have worked with but was not sure on that Motorola. I will try and find a manual later and tell you what to do. So nice to have DSL again!!

My issue was their end like I tried to tell Level 1 support but all said it was my Mac, Router, Modem, Wiring. Funny, as I told them all was fine. I was plugged into an overloaded router at the CO! hahaha.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

 
cwa107's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 20, 2006
Location: Middletown, Pennsylvania
Posts: 26,493
cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

cwa107 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
I just talked to a very smart DSL tech that came here to fix my DSL. Smart and cute also! Female.

Anyway, sorry I did not get back to you sooner as I was without internet except dialup for 2 days now.

I confirmed with her that that Motorola Modem you have there does have a simple router. You change it to bridged mode in the config and let your Linksys handle the connect to PPPoE. I have had to do that with the 5100 and 5100B Speedstreams I have worked with but was not sure on that Motorola. I will try and find a manual later and tell you what to do. So nice to have DSL again!!

My issue was their end like I tried to tell Level 1 support but all said it was my Mac, Router, Modem, Wiring. Funny, as I told them all was fine. I was plugged into an overloaded router at the CO! hahaha.
It is possible to have the two routers coexist if you so choose (which is the tack I usually take). But if you want to walk him through switching the modem over to bridged mode and set the router to do PPPoE/authentication, I'll shut up now

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

 
dtravis7's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 04, 2005
Location: Modesto, Ca.
Posts: 27,586
dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

dtravis7 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
It is possible to have the two routers coexist if you so choose (which is the tack I usually take). But if you want to walk him through switching the modem over to bridged mode and set the router to do PPPoE/authentication, I'll shut up now
Naw, do not shut up!

I have to go shopping. My whole day was wasted having to wait for the tech but glad I did as it got solved.

Which ever works and gets the OP up and running is all I care about. Those Speedstream 5100b's are so easy to switch to bridged mode I usually just do it as it takes me 30 seconds.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

 
cwa107's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 20, 2006
Location: Middletown, Pennsylvania
Posts: 26,493
cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

cwa107 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
Naw, do not shut up!

I have to go shopping. My whole day was wasted having to wait for the tech but glad I did as it got solved.

Which ever works and gets the OP up and running is all I care about. Those Speedstream 5100b's are so easy to switch to bridged mode I usually just do it as it takes me 30 seconds.
OK, I'm used to seeing the Westells which Verizon seems to use in this neck of the woods - they can be a pain to get working in bridged mode, plus I don't have one available here for reference.

So far, my method doesn't seem to be working anyway

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
MacNewbie

 
Member Since: Dec 06, 2006
Posts: 409
MacNewbie is an unknown at this point

MacNewbie is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
It is possible to have the two routers coexist if you so choose (which is the tack I usually take). But if you want to walk him through switching the modem over to bridged mode and set the router to do PPPoE/authentication, I'll shut up now
while we wait for drtravis' response how do i do it your way?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« Tiscali Broadband | new visitor with a question about airport extreme and ps3 »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Network Help needed, iPhone WIFI hanging/knocking both my wired and wireless internet sdpinc Internet, Networking, and Wireless 4 01-03-2009 09:08 PM
Wireless speakers that work with iTunes? ld0121 Other Hardware and Peripherals 1 12-23-2008 03:52 PM
Belkin F5D7632UK4A Wireless Router/Modem Dropping DSL connection macdave Internet, Networking, and Wireless 3 03-16-2008 11:55 AM
Wireless card for PC will work on a MAC? Ramon Other Hardware and Peripherals 0 12-28-2003 12:34 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:32 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?