router/modem question advice?
    ok i have cox internet.. im using a surfboard cable motorola im going to get a better router becauseim not satisfy with my cheap 40$ belkin G ..

my question is do i have to upgrade my modem to ? so that it will make it faster for the new router im going to get whic is a N but not sure whats a good brand to buy and also do i have to stick to the modem that my cox cable provide for me? the motorola modem is only transfering 30mbps will that affect the new router that im going to get that transfers 300mbps?

thansk

Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by ricecook View Post
    ok i have cox internet.. im using a surfboard cable motorola im going to get a better router becauseim not satisfy with my cheap 40$ belkin G ..
    Why? In terms of routers, price has nothing to do with performance.

my question is do i have to upgrade my modem to ?
    No.

so that it will make it faster for the new router im going to get whic is a N but not sure whats a good brand to buy and also do i have to stick to the modem that my cox cable provide for me?
    Most cable modems have a maximum bandwidth of about 10Mb/s, in all likelihood, your transfer rate is much slower (probably 6-8Mb/s). Even the slowest routers (802.11b) transfer at 11Mb/s, so your modem is not capable of saturating the bandwidth of an 802.11g device (54Mb/s). If you feel the Internet is slow, it's probably not a problem with the router - and if it is, it's probably just a configuration issue.

the motorola modem is only transfering 30mbps will that affect the new router that im going to get that transfers 300mbps?

thansk
    We're talking about a cable modem, correct? I have never heard of a 30Mb, cable modem connection. If it's fiber optic, that's another story. The transfer rate of your downloads is a function of the bandwidth that your ISP has allocated, it has nothing to do with the modem. Are you sure you're not talking about kb/s? If so, keep in mind that there's a huge difference: 1 mb = 1000 kb.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

Specs:
    17" MacBook Pro 4GB
    Unless you've got a bunch of different wireless PCs in the house, I'd suggest saving your money and continuing to use the Belkin. Most Cable providers aren't going to give you more than 6 - 10 Mbps in downstream bandwidth, and your home network is mostly likely at either 10 Mbps (Ethernet), 100 Mbps (Fast Ethernet), 1000 Mbps (Gig E) with 54 Mbps for wireless.

The weakest link in the chain is your ISP. Your internal network is already faster, and unless you are doing a ton of file transfers between wireless laptops, you will not see significant improvement with an upgrade.
    Perry M Lynch, CISSP CISA
    Mac Newbie, Security not-so-newbie

Thread Information