New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

leopard vista files sharing?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

pbure0110

pbure0110 is an unknown at this point

can any 1 help, i need 2 know how 2 set up file sharing between windows vista and mac leopard?
QUOTE Thanks
smartyMAC

smartyMAC will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MB White 160GB, 2GB RAM,

Can you be more specific. Vista on bootcamp or on Virtual machine??
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

If you're talking about sharing files between a Vista PC and a Mac, I too would be interested in knowing the answer. I've followed every guide I could get my hands on and I have yet to make it work. I've changed all sorts of settings on my Vista PC, but to no avail. If it weren't for Media Center, I would have switched back to XP simply because it shares far more easily with Macs than Vista seems to.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I have posted the changes to Vista that made it work here so many times. It's here somewhere. If it still does not work, something else is wrong. Worked here with Vista Ultimate and EVERY Mac in the house and that is a lot of Macs. I posted the steps with in a week or so in fact. I will try and find my last post on it.

Kash, if you followed one of my earlier posts on it and you can't get it to work, I don't know what to say. I have helped many and it worked for them. I no longer have Vista here so can not try it with Leopard. This was with Tiger and Panther, just to be clear in case it's different with 10.5.

Also before Vista I never once had an issue getting XP and OSX 10.2, 10.3 and 10.4 to network and file share computer to computer. Vista was a first.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future

I think all of the guides available use Tiger, so it could very well be possible that Leopard is the culprit.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kash View Post
I think all of the guides available use Tiger, so it could very well be possible that Leopard is the culprit.
That is very possible. I can't try it and don't want to spend $$$ on Vista at the moment. It was on a system here and that system is gone. Still looking for my message with what worked for me.

Found it. This always worked here but remember, with Tiger.

transfering files from pc to mac

I wish I had Vista around still to be sure all works. Will get it someday. Not a high priority for me as XP does whatever I need done in Windows. I can understand your usage as a Media Center as I hear it's way better in Vista than XP.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Yea, I found what you posted in several guides but it didn't work for me.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kash View Post
Yea, I found what you posted in several guides but it didn't work for me.
What happens when you try? Have you tried from both OSX and Vista? What happens exactly? Do you have a Mac with Tiger still?
QUOTE Thanks
pbure0110

pbure0110 is an unknown at this point

well i mean vista on a pc and leopard on a intel mac mini
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
What happens when you try? Have you tried from both OSX and Vista? What happens exactly? Do you have a Mac with Tiger still?
Interestingly, I just tried it out again and turns out I can connect to my Mac from Vista, but I can't connect the other way around, it keeps giving me the "Connection Failed" or "You do not have permission to access this server" error messages.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
giulio

giulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iPod Touch | iPod Nano

I found Leopard to play extremely well in our office's MS-SBS environment. Sharing seamlessly back and forth with Vista workstations.

Here is what I did to make it work. There are two steps here. I'm not sure which one actually does the trick. So try the Mac step first.

In the Network Preferences pane, select your active connection and click Advanced. Click the WINS tab and fill out the information.

Choose a unique NetBIOS Name, join the same Workgroup, and use the same WINS Server your PCs are using. Click OK, then Apply.
This takes a little while to actually happen. You might as well reboot to make it official. I believe the WINS cache on PCs refreshes every 5 (or 15) minutes. So be patient for you Mac to show up in Explorer.

It still may not, until you do the PC step...

I have to find the instructions for the PC step Don't turn that dial!
Attached Images
File Type: png Picture 1.png (34.2 KB, 91 views)
File Type: png Picture 2.png (36.8 KB, 89 views)
File Type: png Picture 3.png (59.2 KB, 87 views)

schweb This has to be one of the best threads ever in MF history...
Cherokee This gets my vote for most innovative thread on Mac-Forums... ever.
QUOTE Thanks
giulio

giulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iPod Touch | iPod Nano

Found it...

Quote:
Case 1, your server is nothing more than a regular file server. In this case open up regedit (Start > Run > "regedit" {return}), and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ System \ CurrentControlSet \ Services \ LanManServer \ Parameter \ RequireSecuritySignature, and set it's value to "0".

Case 2, your server is also a Domain Controller. In which case you need to open the DC's Security Policy (Administrative Tools > Domain Controller Security Policy). Navigate to Local Policies > Security Options, and disable "Microsoft network server: Digitally sign communications (always)" & "Microsoft network server: Digitally sign communications (if client agrees)". Reboot your sever, and you should be good to go.
http://guides.macrumors.com/Networki..._with_Mac_OS_X
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Quote:
Originally Posted by giulio View Post
That's for Windows Server 2003. We're talking about Leopard and Vista, so that doesn't really help...

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
smartyMAC

smartyMAC will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MB White 160GB, 2GB RAM,

Leopard and vista sharing is not so difficult. From vista to access leopard it's the same old smb process that still works. And from vista it's just the normal sharing folder and then accessing it as \\vista-ipaddr\share name.

I have done it myself so many times..... pretty simple.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

I figured it out!! I cannot believe it was so simple. All I had to do was go into the Networking preferences and disable password required to access shared files/folders. Works like a charm now!!

As you can tell, I am quite excited

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« an urgent request | Mac and Windows LAN capable? »