New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Need help connecting wireless in school.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

idlefool

idlefool is on a distinguished road

I have a macbook and usually in order to connect to the wireless internet in school areas(university) I am automatically redirected to a sign in page where I have to type in my student ID and password inorder to access wireless. However, ever since I installed Leopard I have not been able to use wireless on campus. I can see that I am receiving the campus connection fine, but then it wont redirect me to the site where I sign in. If anyone else out there that have encountered this problem, please let me know what i can do to fix this, thanks.

-Nate
QUOTE Thanks
IanCT

IanCT will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4

Just a thought, go into Keychain Access (in Applications > Utilities) and wipe out your airport keys (and any other pertinent ones), reboot, then try and rejoin the network and see if your university's proxy page comes up.

Also try resetting Safari's settings (under the Safari menu from the toolbar)
QUOTE Thanks
idlefool

idlefool is on a distinguished road

Hey thanks IanCT, but how would I go about fixing this problem if I use Firefox?
QUOTE Thanks
IanCT

IanCT will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by idlefool View Post
how would I go about fixing this problem if I use Firefox?
That's a good question. I don't use FireFox. My next suggestion would be to delete any preference files associated with FF in Macintosh HD/Users/<username>/Library/Preferences
QUOTE Thanks
Laurence000

Laurence000 is on a distinguished road

I have the same kind of probelm at school with the WPA network. I deleted everything school related in my keychain... still doesn't work. Have you tried to reset the FF pref? did it help?
QUOTE Thanks
joaoaba

joaoaba is on a distinguished road

I don't know if I'll be helping much but I used to have the same problem when I updated to Leopard. The thing is that Leopard can't find some wirelless networks (don't ask me why, just wait for the update). I solved this by doing this: Airpot -› Join Other Network. On the field Network name you'll have to fill with the exact name of the wireless network ( eduroam inmy case); On the security field you choose WPA Enterprise. Then log in with your username and password and choose for 802.1X - TTLS-PAP.

Hope it works

Cheers
QUOTE Thanks
Laurence000

my school uses eduroam too

I tried what you said, but if I put the 802.1X under TTLS-PAP than I get an authentification error message...

If I keep it to automatic I can connect, but after a few minutes I can stay connected but I lose the external IP address...

any other advice?
QUOTE Thanks
joaoaba

joaoaba is on a distinguished road

If that doesn't work that's probabily because of the certificates.
Try this, or something like it (in case of a different University):

http://www.eduroam.si/en/osebni-dost...mac-os-leopard

Cheers
QUOTE Thanks
Laurence000

Thanks!

I'll try it on monday at school and i'll let you know if it works
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Internet Connects with 10.5 | airport card for older imac »