New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

New to Apple products - Questions about internet

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

nicole7409

nicole7409 is on a distinguished road

I am planning to order a MacBook Pro this week, but I'm not exactly smart when it comes to computers and the whole wireless internet thing confuses me. While browsing the Apple site, I came across both the Airport Express and Airport Extreme, but am not sure which one I would need. I don't really see major differences between the two. Could someone explain exactly what I need to do in terms of setting up the internet?
QUOTE Thanks
JohnJohn

JohnJohn is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 15" 2.8ghz MBP6,2(4gb) | 20" iMac | 1.8 & 2.0 Mini(4gb) | iPhone4 | iPad-4Wifi

Your going to get a a "Search First" post here in a few so...

But let's break down your question. Do you have internet in your home/office now? Broadband? Do you have a Cable Modem or even a router? Does your Cable Modem have more than one "out" internet plug on it?

Once we know this we can give you advice on how to get your home/office wireless.

Welcome to the forums
QUOTE Thanks
nicole7409

My house has Broadband and a cable modem, but I think it only has one internet "out" plug.
QUOTE Thanks
JohnJohn

Mac Specs: 15" 2.8ghz MBP6,2(4gb) | 20" iMac | 1.8 & 2.0 Mini(4gb) | iPhone4 | iPad-4Wifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicole7409 View Post
My house has Broadband and a cable modem, but I think it only has one internet "out" plug.
First, check with the provider of the cable modem. Some of the new modems actually have WIFI in them, but it's turned off. I know someone who has "RoadRunner" or something like in Dallas and had WIFI and didn't even know it. So check that first. If you do have WIFI in your Cable Modem your provider should be able to help you set it with security features and such.

If your cable modem does not have WIFI built in, you will need to get a cheap switch. This will switch the "out" from your cable modem into 4, 6, 8 "outs", kind of like how a power strip splits power.

Then you can plug in an Airport Express into one of the newly created "outs". Follow the instructions that will come with the Airport Express and you should be up and running in no time.

For a more expensive option that will allow you to expand in the future get an Airport Extreme. This will basically do the same thing as the Airport Express and the switch combined. It will also allow you to share a USB device with your network, a printer, an external hard drive, etc. It will do those things along with providing WIFI for your home.
QUOTE Thanks
nicole7409

Thank you for the information, I think I understand better now!

So since I'm a new user, would you recommend going with the Airport Express first?

And this might be a stupid question, but where can I buy a cheap switch?
QUOTE Thanks
sanity1082

sanity1082 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle

you can get a cheap switch just about anywhere computers are sold. i picked one up on sale at best buy.
QUOTE Thanks
JohnJohn

If you plan on expanding take the money you would have spent on a switch($45) and Airport Express($99) and just buy the Airport Extreme.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« airport express and netgear wpn824 | Airport loss of connection »