New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Sharing my laptop internet connection to iPhone

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

lioneltz

lioneltz is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I can't always find a hotspot but I can always connected via the 3G USB modem in my laptop and there are certain things I'd like to do with my iPhone from the internet.

I've tried to share the internet connection from my MacBook Pro with my iPhone (System Preferences - Sharing) via Airport, however the sharing doesn't seem to work. The iPhone can "see" the wifi signal but it can't connect.

Is there anything that I missed here? Please advice.
Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
goobimama

goobimama is a jewel in the roughgoobimama is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)

Did you enable internet sharing in "System preferences > Sharing"? If the wifi icon in your menubar shows a little computer, then it's a computer network. If it shows the radio waves icon with an arrow, then it's internet sharing.
QUOTE Thanks
lioneltz

lioneltz is on a distinguished road

Thanks goobi,

Yes, I've enabled the internet sharing and my airport icon on the menubar shows an up arrow. The screenshot for my sharing preferences is here: http://picboost.com/upload/737_Internet%20Sharing.jpg

But somehow as I wrote before, iPhone still can't connect to the net although it does "see" the wifi.

What else could be wrong? :-(
QUOTE Thanks
Nazaroth

Nazaroth is on a distinguished road

I too have done this correctly and actually see the wifi icon displayed on my iPhone 3G[S] as if it is connected, but when i try to view any web pages it just times out like its not connected.

Could someone please provide a solution to this
QUOTE Thanks
Coyoteblue

Coyoteblue is on a distinguished road

Hi, I have this problem too! I wonder if it's disabled by Apple to ensure 3G use...
QUOTE Thanks
Helgosam

Helgosam is on a distinguished road

This has been annoying me for weeks now.

After reading a few other of the topics on this site, I decided to try changing the MBP firewall settings - AND IT WORKED.

As others have said I could see the wireless on my iPhone, but the internet wasn't working. It started working straight away as soon as I did the following:

Go To system Preferences - security - firewall

Then go to Advanced, and uncheck "Block all incoming connections"

I left the other settings as they were (i.e. stealth mode on) and I'm afraid I don't know the security implications of what I did, but it works!
QUOTE Thanks
roeiboot

roeiboot will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MB061LL/B & iPhone4

when i want to go on-line via my home or work internet connection i just jump on WiFi.. no need to go through the laptop. am i missing something ?

~rb
iPhone 4 /16GB MacBook3,1 iPad my blog
QUOTE Thanks
lairdo

lairdo is on a distinguished road

Thanks for this post and instructions. I was able to share my laptop's wired connection with my iphone.

To answer the question as to when this would be useful - I am in a hotel overseas and paying for wired access in my hotel room. Since I don't want to pay for my iPhone access and I want to download files bigger than the 3G limit (let alone avoid data roaming charges), the sharing allows me to do this. You are right, at home, the iPhone just uses my wifi connection directly.

-Laird
QUOTE Thanks
szesam

szesam is on a distinguished road

Sharing your internet connection is easy on the Mac.
Mac has a built in feature that does just that.

Article found at:
http://app-cloud.blogspot.com/2011/0...via-wi_24.html
QUOTE Thanks
setiawanshogun

setiawanshogun is on a distinguished road

I still can not browse on my ipad even though i turn of the firewall setting at:

Setting > System preferences > Security > firewall

anymore help? thank you
QUOTE Thanks
parhum

parhum is on a distinguished road

My ipod connect to My network airport connection but when I want use internet for example open one page on safari or check mail, say you are not connect to internet
everybody know what's problem?

Thanks,
Parhum
QUOTE Thanks
argann

argann is on a distinguished road

When I was on travel to the Caribbean working but not with some hiccups. Now I'm in Guam and it doesn't work at all. I get the arrow up icon on the airport and even get a IP on my phone but no connectivity. Uhgg...
QUOTE Thanks
singalrohit

singalrohit is on a distinguished road

IT wasn't working for me on windows (running on a mac though). Same issue, shared the created WEP connection - was visible to iPhone but wasn't really transmitting any internet data on request.

got an idea from this post and tried this - Had AVG installed, temporarily disabled the AVG protection completely from advanced settings - the internet started working. now enabled AVG back. stlil internet was working.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Airport express problem | Home Network Help »