New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Wifi hopping

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Macrsd

Macrsd is on a distinguished road

I have a PowerMac G4, CPU: 400 MHz, RAM: 576 MB, Bus Speed: 100 MHz. It's about 7 years old and has an Apple internal 56K Modem (v.90). It does not have an airport card installed and I was told that the airport cards that are currently out do not support older Macs. I want to Wifi hop and keep the phone line open (is Wifi hopping legal to begin with? - if it's not then I wont bother) - I also don't have Cable or DSL and don't want to go that route - are there any third party cards that I can use? and if so what do I need - just a card or a card and router? - Thank you
QUOTE Thanks
mathogre

mathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.

The quick answer on WiFi hopping is that it's generally illegal. There are free WiFi nets, but they're limited. If you hop on your neighbor's unsecured network without permission, at best you're doing something unethical and at worst you're breaking the law.

Evil Math Ogre Kgh-Ra
Integrate me. Differentiate me.
You can't hurt me. I'm e^x. Ha ha ha!

Homepage | Gallery
I was on the M-F honor roll for July 2007.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Airport as USB server, how to stop it? | Use ethernet rather than wireless? »