New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

airport can't find networks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

davidmluke

davidmluke is on a distinguished road

I have just installed an airport card in my Imac G5 1.8 running 10.3.9. My wife recently got a macbook 2.0ghz running 10.4.11. Her computer instantly detected all the wireless networks in the building and uses one of many that are not password protected. My computer sees my new wireless card but doesn't seem to find any of the networks. Airport even appears in the top right but the signal is grayed out. When I got into system pref, it says "airport is turned on but not connected to a network". When I open internet connect, no networks appear. Any thoughts on how I can get these networks to show up?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

Did you be sure you plugged in the Antenna into the Airport Extreme card when you installed it?

One reminder here because you are new to the Forums. Talk of stealing WiFi from others it not really allowed here on Mac Forums.
QUOTE Thanks
davidmluke

antenna is plugged in...
as for stealing wifi...sorry for the mistake there...I do know the folks I am "stealing" it from though and they're ok with it.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmluke View Post
antenna is plugged in...
as for stealing wifi...sorry for the mistake there...I do know the folks I am "stealing" it from though and they're ok with it.
If the people know and are fine with it then it's between you and them. I just wanted to warn you in case.

What is the signal strength like on your wifes system?

Yours is an iMac G5? The one where the computer is built into the screen? You installed an Airport Express card? Where did you get the card? You should be getting some networks showing since your wife can. Is your Wife's and your system close to each other when you try?
QUOTE Thanks
davidmluke

the signal strength is pretty good on my wife's computer whether it's near my machine or not. My Imac is the built in screen version. I got the airport express card at the apple store.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Quote:
the signal strength is pretty good on my wife's computer whether it's near my machine or not. My Imac is the built in screen version. I got the airport express card at the apple store.
My iMac G5 has very good reception. That is why I was wondering about the antenna. The contact it plugs into is quite small. I had the antenna come unplugged on my Mac Mini once and I had to be very close to the router for it to pick it up. You say you are running 10.3.9?
QUOTE Thanks
davidmluke

10.3.9 yup

I'm going to open the cover again here and check the antenna but I'm pretty sure I felt it click in nicely.
QUOTE Thanks
davidmluke

still no luck...even unplugged the cordless phone in the room...
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

I wish I could offer more help but if the antenna is working you should see some signal from something if you wife can. Will think on it more and get back to you.
QUOTE Thanks
davidmluke

thanks for your help...don't lose sleep over it though!
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
antenna is plugged in...
One other thing to note - if you don't use security on a wireless network, all of your transmissions (including credit card numbers and personal data) are being transmitted in plain text, over the airwaves. There is nothing stopping someone with even a modicum of savvy from intercepting those transmissions, completely unbeknownst to you and using it to steal your identity. If indeed you know your neighbor and they're happy to share, ask them to set up WPA security (at the very least) to protect both you, him and the rest of the machines on the network.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Server reconnect upon wakeup | airports range worse than others »