New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Looking for help connecting vista and mac os

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bryans83

bryans83 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" iMac Intel Core 2 Duo (Aluminum & Glass) 260 GB HD

Okay, so here's what I've got:

Primary Computer: iMac with Mac OS X 10.4
Secondary Computer: Laptop with Windows Vista Home Premium
Wireless Router (WRT54G) (Connected to iMac)
HP Photosmart C5280 (Connected to iMac)

Here's What I want to do:

Create a Home Network, (wireless or wired.. doesn't really matter) in which I can share specific (or all, if necessary) files from both systems (primarily for pdfs, images, and a few microsoft word and excel documents) This is supposed to be fairly easy, but I am not very familiar with Networking a Mac to Windows, nor am I experienced with Vista. Both Computers are less than 4 months old.

I am also wondering if I can use the Mac as a server to share the Printer so that if I need to I can print something directly from the Laptop. I'm not concerned about the iMac being on when this happens, because either way I would have to go to the mac to print a document, and swapping the plug in from the mac to laptop isn't an option.

If anyone knows of any great tutorials or has any pointers I would be Extremely grateful. and if you could find a "dumby" version, it would be even better.

I Only Let my iMac do the fun, important stuff like Videos, Pictures & Music. My Laptop does the boring stupid stuff like pie-charts, word documents, and spreadsheets. I Love my iMac!
QUOTE Thanks
bryans83

bryans83 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" iMac Intel Core 2 Duo (Aluminum & Glass) 260 GB HD

I forgot to add my explanation for having a *shudders* Vista Computer, a)Because I cant find a laptop with XP, and b)We Live in a world where the Mac OS is still greatly and unjustly ignored, I have Photoshop, I use iPhoto, iMovie, iTunes, and Final Cut for my photos and videos, but there are just so many things out there that can only be done on Windows.

I work for a software company, and for the past 2 years I've made my voice known, that Mac software should be made too... unfortunately from a business aspect, Macs don't have enough Market share. oh well, I love Macs way more... they're so much more stable and easy to use.

I Only Let my iMac do the fun, important stuff like Videos, Pictures & Music. My Laptop does the boring stupid stuff like pie-charts, word documents, and spreadsheets. I Love my iMac!
QUOTE Thanks
traveler09

traveler09 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Imac 24 Inch

I would like to know this myself. Looks like you never got an answer.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Already covered in this and other threads linked to the thread below

leopard vista files sharing?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Might get satellite internet through dish network-can someone help me? | Internet is Stupidly Slow? »