New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Printing woes

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jacintosh

jacintosh can only hope to improve

I open up the printing icon, click the plus sign...and nothing. Nothing shows. I have a WiFi connection with my Linksys G, and my HP desktop, through an ethernet connection is also hooked up to my HP printer. My old pc laptop found it just fine. My MBP does't recognize anything. I went on the pc into the control panel and added the OS X and 515? Don't have a clue as to what that means. Also changed to print sharing. Told to go into the terminal and type up some gobbily gook and it asked for a password. It wouldn't even type. God...there has to be an easier way. I know many people have asked, but it seems to friggin difficult. I'm thinking I'll just do all my typing on the pc....I hate to do that, because I enjoy doing work on my laptop.
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

Quote:
I open up the printing icon, click the plus sign...and nothing
You're in prefs, click in 'Print & Fax', then click plus and nothing happens?

A new window should open up. If not, there's an OS problem.

It would also be handy if you gave us some information about what MacBook Pro / OS you're actually on. Your post is just a rant - not a methodical post to help us diagnose and solve the problem.
QUOTE Thanks
jacintosh

Well, I disagree with your assessment of it being a rant. Yes, I'm frustrated, but that is only because I have used pc's for over 20 years, and it is a little frustrating trying to figure out something that is very different from what I am used to. I have a new MPB with Leopard. As far as methodical...it is somewhat difficult to be precise and methodical, when I don't have a clue as to what I am doing. And, after reading many other posts by new individuals to macs....I'm definitely not alone. Yes, the new window does open up, but it doesn't provide me with any information.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacintosh View Post
Well, I disagree with your assessment of it being a rant. Yes, I'm frustrated, but that is only because I have used pc's for over 20 years, and it is a little frustrating trying to figure out something that is very different from what I am used to. I have a new MPB with Leopard. As far as methodical...it is somewhat difficult to be precise and methodical, when I don't have a clue as to what I am doing. And, after reading many other posts by new individuals to macs....I'm definitely not alone. Yes, the new window does open up, but it doesn't provide me with any information.
Please don't start new threads when you don't get the answer you want in existing threads on the subject.

You're making us reinvent the wheel rather than just working with us in existing threads.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
jacintosh

Sorry, I also am not forum proficient. That response was intended for, what I thought was this sight. When I was unable to find it, I did post it on the site that I knew I could find. Didn't mean to be redundant.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacintosh View Post
Sorry, I also am not forum proficient. That response was intended for, what I thought was this sight. When I was unable to find it, I did post it on the site that I knew I could find. Didn't mean to be redundant.
I have to apologize too as I was confusing you with another member. Normally, I'd be a little more tolerant. See my post in the thread linked to above - and let's pick up this discussion on that thread.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
jacintosh

I don't understand why my Mac doesn't find my printer. It found my router just fine. I tried going into the printer utility and after clicking manual, it asked for my ip address for my hp printer....I can't find it, and I don't know if that even will work. When I did the add printer to my pc, I didn't click the automatic config which normally does the virtual usb port....I was told to add the tcp/ip one? I just don't know what to do. It asked for the ip address....do NOT have a clue. When I plugged my printer directly into my computer, via usb cable...bam! It came right up after hitting the plus sign. So....it apparently is compatible...it just isn't reading whether it's the ip address or I just don't know.
QUOTE Thanks
zyepod

zyepod is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: iMac 3.06GHz Core 2 Duo 8GB RAM 500GB HDD OSX 10.9.3

I'm running Leopard and I'm having the same problem. A couple of days ago I looked in Finder and there were both my other computers. But that only lasted that day. I didn't do anything different that day that I don't do every day. I was using Tiger on a macbook and all was fine... No problems... Wished I knew what was up with Leopard...

QUOTE Thanks
jacintosh

I'll just have to connect my laptop to the usb cable if I want to print. Macs just don't talk to pc's. Oh well.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Did you install Bonjour for Windows as I suggested?

QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

There is a great guide for setting up network printers that's really simple:

Networking Printers FAQ

I just used it the other day and it works like a charm. Trust me, I thought it was a hopeless cause to try and get my Macs to print to the printers connected to my PC, but after following that guide, it worked instantly. I felt so stupid for not having found it earlier

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
jacintosh

Well, I got my Mac to see my hp printer. Unfortunately, it doesn't have an updated driver. So I installed the generic driver and my printer started spitting out blank pieces of paper like it is possessed. Arrrrrgh! I went on the internet, and I couldn't find a 5700 series driver for my MBP.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

What exact model HP? Deskjet 5700?

Found this for the 5740. Not sure of your exact model.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...t=357202&lang=
QUOTE Thanks
MikeM

MikeM has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 13" MBP - Mid 2012 - i7 / iPad Air / iPhone 5s / ATV3

So far, HP network printers on a mixed network have been my biggest frustration with Macs. HP has told me they don't support that kind of setup and I can't seem to extract the driver out of their local printer utility. Its irritating that HP would make such a simple concept this complicated.

-MikeM
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

I'm using an HP 2710 on my network via an Airport Express. I just used the generic HP driver and it works fine. My network includes 1 Windows XP (SP2) machine and 5 Macs

In my experience, HP has been far superior to the old Epson(s) I used to use.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Weird Problem with my Xbox Wireless Adapter | Printing from Mac to Windows Server 2008 »