New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

MacBook - Problems with sustaining DSL connection

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

vadasambar

vadasambar is on a distinguished road

I have a 3 month old MacBook (Mac OSX 10.4 Tiger) and I use a UT Starcomm modem provided by my ISP for my DSL connection. The problem is that the connection drops quite frequently. This is even after I have unchecked the PPPoE Session option "Disconnect if idle for more than -- minutes". In the Advanced Options section I have let the one that says "Send PPP echo packets" remain checked because I do not know exactly what that means.

Also, I'm unable to upload anything. I cannot even send emails with attachments. The speed tests on DSL Reports, Speedtest.Net, etc show only my download speed because they are unable to test and give me my upload speed.

My ISP says there are no compatibility problems at their end- if I am able to use their internet connection then I should be able to do everything that a Windows system is capable of.

When I use the same modem with my Windows notebook (running on WinXP) there are no such problems-no frequent line drops or upload problems.

I'm planning to use a different modem/router other than the one provided by my ISP. But until then or other than that is there something very basic that I'm not doing?

Also, how do I configure to redial and reconnect when/if the connection drops?

This is my first experience with Mac OS (I have never had or used a Mac before Tiger) and I hope folks here will be able to help me.

--
Best Regards
Suresh
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Leopard Networkgin Issues with Windows and NAS Drive | Printer help needed »