New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

airport extreme compatible?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Slowalkaway

Ok, sorry guys, one more thing. I just got my ibook g3 600 and im looking for a wireless solution, and the regular airport cards are very expensive but the newer airport extreme is quite cheaper. Is my ibook compatible with the airport extreme. For some reason im not thinking so.
Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

No, sorry. A friend of mine just had this same problem. Apple just stopped making the regular AirPort card, which is the only card the G3 iBooks can use. The AirPort Extreme card requires a faster connection than the standard AirPort card, and has has a completely different connector.

You can try to find an old-style AirPort card (eBay?), or look for a USB 802.11b dongle.
QUOTE Thanks
marlon

You can try to find an old-style AirPort card (eBay?), or look for a USB 802.11b dongle.[/QUOTE]

Can you tell me if these dongles (I was looking at one made by AftertheMac) are comparably fast to an Airport card? I also read online that there are some other wireless cards like InGenius and Senao that work with Mac OS's. Could you advise me about these at all?

Thank you.
QUOTE Thanks
Reflow

Reflow is on a distinguished road

Here is a place that sells the old airport cards

http://www.macofalltrades.com/product_p/airport1.htm

[
QUOTE Thanks
Merlinblack

The dongle might not be as fast as a pcmcia when navigating network traffic (pulling from a server or another computer). But for the internet it should be about the same speed.

At least if I remember my networking/hardware class correctly.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

But since it's an iBook G3 it only has USB 1.1 i.e. wouldn't the maximum speed be limited by that? (Airport extreme has 56Mb vs. 11Mb usb1.1?)

I never took networking/hardware classes so I might be wrong...
QUOTE Thanks
Merlinblack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptmunich
But since it's an iBook G3 it only has USB 1.1 i.e. wouldn't the maximum speed be limited by that? (Airport extreme has 56Mb vs. 11Mb usb1.1?)

I never took networking/hardware classes so I might be wrong...
1.1 should be pretty close to your average speed on the internet (unless you have a dedicated t3 line) Airport Extreme will only run 56Mb when you have that kind of Bandwidth available, such as transfering from a file server on your network. THAT is when your speeds will suffer due to the dongle. Cable internet only runs at like
~7Mb so the dongle isn't going to slow that down, just your network traffic.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Gotcha
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Transferring Large Files from PC Laptop to G5 | How to find out ACTUAL Airport Link Speed »