New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

iMac - Having connection issues.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

iSleep

iSleep is on a distinguished road

Hey, I just got my iMac and I'm having some internet connection issues. I'm using an ethernet cable connected to a modem. It works pefectly on my PC. However, when I disconnect it and connect it to my iMac, it doesn't allow me to get an internet connection. However, in System preferences, under networks, it says it is connected. It is DHCP (sp?) and it own't allow me to send my registration either and tells me I cannot connect to the internet. This is frustrating, my first iMac did not have this problem, help?

I have made sure the cable is connected on both ends and restarted the iMac and restarted the modem. No luck...
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSleep View Post
Hey, I just got my iMac and I'm having some internet connection issues. I'm using an ethernet cable connected to a modem. It works pefectly on my PC. However, when I disconnect it and connect it to my iMac, it doesn't allow me to get an internet connection. However, in System preferences, under networks, it says it is connected. It is DHCP (sp?) and it own't allow me to send my registration either and tells me I cannot connect to the internet. This is frustrating, my first iMac did not have this problem, help?
Start with your iMac connected via the Ethernet connection. Leave it turned off for now. Unplug the power to your modem. Plug it back in and let it initialize for 1 minute. Now, boot up the iMac and tell me what happens...

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
iSleep

Wow thanks, that worked and i didn't think it would!
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Wow thanks, that worked and i didn't think it would!
You doubt my networking kung-fu power?

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
iSleep

Haha, I won't now.

Another question though. Will unplugging and replugging the ethernet chord everyday somehow ruin the ethernet port or how it works? Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
flowrider

flowrider is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini i7, MBP 2.2GHz, Hackintosh (retired)

Why don't you purchase an inexpensive router? Then you wouldn't have to keep connecting and disconnecting each machine. I'm guessing your iMac has an airport card built in and in that case get a wireless router then you could put the iMac anywhere within wireless range.
QUOTE Thanks
iSleep

I plan on it next pay day, but for the meantime, will it damage my ethernet port or the internet connection?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
I plan on it next pay day, but for the meantime, will it damage my ethernet port or the internet connection?
No, it should be fine in the short-term. In the long-term, it may add wear to the plastics. If you need to share a single Internet connection amongst several machines, definitely get a router.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac to wireless access | New imac owner with router Question »